Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraud Victim - unresponsive Fraud Team

Katierose0303
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I had a fraudulent account taken out in my name in December 2022 and reported it to O2 on Feb 2023 when I became aware of it. My account was sent to the Fraud Team to complete an investigation. I was called by a lady from the Fraud Team in March to say they had investigated and deemed the account fraudulent. She confirmed the account would be closed, removed from my credit report and I would receive a letter on the post confirming this within a week. No letter arrived. A couple of weeks later I get a letter from a company called Lowell saying they have bought the account and I owe the money. I explained it was fraudulent and to my knowledge been closed by O2. They are threatening me with court action, bailiff etc. I have emailed the fraud team 5 times and called the customer support 12 times since March who have also sent escalations and emails to the fraud team on my behalf but still no response. A manager actioned getting the arrears removed so the balance is now £0 but the account is still on my credit report after I was told to email the amendment team to ask it be removed. But the fraud team still haven’t responded so I have nothing to show Lowell the account is closed and fraudulent. My mental and physical health has been astronomically effected by all this due to the stress. Nobody seems to want to help and respond. I want the account properly closed, removed from my credit report and for the payment department to recall the account from Lowell or at least provide me with something in writing to say it’s closed and fraudulent so I can present it to Lowell. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 36556 Posts
  • 235 Topics
  • 1623 Solutions

@Katierose0303 - the O2 advisor @O2Emma has been great at helping out those in your predicament - I've tagged her, she comes on duty at 3pm today, look out for a Private Message from her around that time, as she will need more info from you to pursue this. Good luck!

Message 2 of 5

O2Emma
Former Staff
  • 1198 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 34 Solutions

Hi @pgn I will pick this up thanks.

Hi @Katierose0303 I will send you a private message to look into it for you.

signature
Message 3 of 5

jack31
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi there, my partner is in an identical situation to this. I am writing on her behalf here as she has been made so mentally unwell by the stress of the weekly threatening letters we get from the payment management department. In June, she was a victim of a scam phonecall that fraudulently set up two o2 accounts in her name, despite them claiming to be calling ion behalf of three (her current provider). They set up these two accounts that came with phones, and now we have two brand new iphones and two illegitimate contracts (both set up in her name, who would need two accounts!?). The iphones are both unopened and we have kept them, despite the scammers calling and trying to get her to post them to a location that was NOT o2. At that point she noticed this was a scam and has called the Payment Management Department, called customer services, and emailed the fraud team but have had no follow up. One employee said that the fraud team would call in the next 5 work days, but this call was made at the end of June and it is now August and we are getting arrears letters which are going to affect her credit score. 

It's a joke that this has been unaddressed and unsupported. I was very much appreciate some updates on this so that we can ensure her credit score is not ruined by this scam and that we don't need to keep these illegitimate iphones in our house much longer. We've been explicitly told by customer services not to go into a store to discuss this and this forum seems to be the only place I might get support.

Please get in touch @pgn @O2Emma 

Message 4 of 5

Enlli
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 6811 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 1521 Solutions

@jack31 Unfortunately all the advisors we had have been removed from the forum for now, leaving just us customers. We cannot handle account questions etc so can only advise keeping on at O2

Use the Complaints procedure

https://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain

Resolver mentioned near the bottom is known to get results

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 5 of 5