cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Foreign Debit card

Anonymous
Not applicable

I live overseas so cannot top up on line or by phone as it accepts only UK registered  cards. O2 must lose a lot of business from tourists.

Strange thing is that I can top up Broadband SIM I use for my dongle, but telephone SIMs and Broadband SIMs cannot be combined in one account.

Seems very backward and easy to fix.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122909 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Have a look at this route @Anonymous You should be able to top up using paypal etc...

http://www.mobiletopup.co.uk/o2

For reference in future and when back in the UK... there are a number of ways to top up here. Scroll down to PAYG

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Discussions-Feedback/Ways-to-pay-guidelines/td-p/874982

Edited to add....if you are now living overseas you may be better off using a local sim  if your phone is unlocked

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 13

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23068 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

You beat me to the punch asking that question @Cleoriff. Why use O2 for anything if you're not living in the UK, unless the move is only temporary?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 122909 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

You beat me to the punch asking that question @Cleoriff. Why use O2 for anything if you're not living in the UK, unless the move is only temporary?

Must admit I had to go back to edit that bit in @Bambino...a quick first read led me to think the OP was on holiday.

(I have also corrected a spelling mistake on the second edit...:smileywink:)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 13

jonsie
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

MI5
  • 144313 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
If you only need to top up when in the UK you can also use any ATM to do so or buy vouchers in stores.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the replies. I am retired overseas but come back often for several weeks at a time so need a UK SIM card, and opted for pay as you go rather than a contract, so that I am here.

Otherwise if I use my home/foreign  SIM card the roaming costs be 8 pounds a day. O2 confirmed (on Help chat line) I have to have a UK credit/debit card with a billing address with a UK Post code. Their only other idea was to ask a friend/relative in UK to pay for me. I could buy a voucher next time I am in store, but it has an expiry date as does credit, which could expire when I am overseas before I come back. One of the postings suggested using Paypal. I shall try that next time. That could be useful as I could top up when I am overseas just before I come back.

Message 7 of 13

MI5
  • 144313 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Credit will never expire, so if you applied the top up when you got the voucher, it will remain until used.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 122909 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@Anonymous One of my friends retired to Spain...she also comes back to the UK often. She uses a Spanish payg mobile when in Spain (with a local sim) and has a seperate phone and sim for when she comes back to the UK. It works well for her. I did tell her to use one sim in both phones but they are different makes and she is happy doing it her 'own way' wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmmn, are you sure? In the O2 shop they said credit would expire if I did not use the phone, which would be the case if I am not in UK. Will look into it again

Message 10 of 13