cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

False Charge

Anonymous
Not applicable

In November 2017 I visited Amsterdam, I recieved a text from o2 Claiming that Calls, Texts and Data allowance whilst roaming in Europe would not come at any extra charge. All usage would come out of my monthly allowance, Yet I recieved a £40 bill in November For data usage? I have only recently found out as my mother was worried about her £120 bill for calls to other network providers. Which, ironically, she has been falsely charged for as she recieves 250 minutes any time any network calls which she did not exceed. 

All replies are appreciated, I hate to think of other o2 customers that are being explotied for profit by this company. I am definitely ringing in the morning to demand a full refund as well as cancelling my and my families contracts and moving elsewhere. 

Thanks 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@Anonymous have you checked in My O2 to see what the £40 charge(s) refers to? Did you, for example, go over your data allowance while in Amsterdam?

Please read the information contained in the following link http://www.o2.co.uk/help/pay-monthly/using-your-phone-abroad#qs

I would suggest you contact Customer Services http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus if the information in the above link and My O2 cannot explain why you have been charged this amount. They open at 08:00 which is the best time to call.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 2 of 10

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144171 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

How did you get to Amsterdam?
If by boat you may have been charged the ships rate for data.
With regard to your mother’s calls, certain numbers are still chargeable.
See help here https://www.o2.co.uk/help/account-and-billing/other-numbers-and-charges
One final point with regard to cancelling your accounts, cancellation fees may be applicable if the contracts have not reached their minimum term.
How to cancel https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-guides/Cancelling-Your-Contract-A-Guide/ba-p/566774#M56526
PAC to keep your number https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-guides/How-to-get-your-PAC-2017-Update/ba-p/1052278

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 10

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

MI5
  • 144171 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Data unavailable ^^^ is actually very misleading as data use is available, but not from O2.
Using the ships data connection is far worse than anything O2 charge but for the correct pricing you should check with the relevant ferry operator.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122820 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

wrote:
Data unavailable ^^^ is actually very misleading as data use is available, but not from O2.
Using the ships data connection is far worse than anything O2 charge but for the correct pricing you should check with the relevant ferry operator.

It is misleading and the wording should probably read...'Unavailable from O2, Check rates with ships/ferry operators'.... 

(All supposing the OP actually travelled by ferry.)...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 10

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions
It does actually state that data will be capped at £40 which is why I showed it as that is the amount the OP was charged. Luckily it was only over the one billing period otherwise the charge would have been £80.
Message 7 of 10

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey @Anonymous it would be great to get an update on this once you've spoken to customer services. 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 8 of 10

MI5
  • 144171 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

@jonsiewrote:
It does actually state that data will be capped at £40 which is why I showed it as that is the amount the OP was charged. Luckily it was only over the one billing period otherwise the charge would have been £80.

I’m confused as to how they can cap something at £40 which is unavailable?

Currently using:
Message 9 of 10

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

wrote:

@jonsiewrote:

I’m confused as to how they can cap something at £40 which is unavailable?

Yes but apparently they can and they did. Just another O2 website anomaly that they need to show an interest in fixing! 

Message 10 of 10