Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fair Fair Use Policy

Mattone
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I’ve just received a text from O2 with the following fair use policy notice.

O2: We've raised a charge of 16.78, which represents the cost of your continued usage in our Europe Zone outside our fair usage policy. The charge will appear on your next bill as 'roaming surcharge'. See o2.co.uk/roamfairuse for more details.

When I view the web page o2.co.uk/roamfairuse it states the following:

Using our services in our Europe Zone for more than 63 days in any four month period is what we consider to be unfair use. If you do this, we’ll send you a fair usage notification by text. If you continue to use these services after we’ve notified you, we’ll apply surcharges for further usage that we recognise as over usage.

These surcharges are £3.60 per GB for data, 3.3p per minute for calls and 1p per text. The surcharges will appear on your next months bill. We’ll stop applying surcharges to your European Zone usage once the majority of your usage over the previous four months has been in the UK.

I agree that I have been out of the UK for longer than 63 days. However O2 states that they will send you a fair use notification text which I did not receive.

The last text regarding my tariff was on 22 June which was the following:

From 2 August we'll be moving you onto the latest version of our Pay Monthly Mobile Agreement, which sets out our terms and conditions. 

For more info go to: http://v.o2.co.uk/W4C0Z177

From 2 August, we're also increasing some prices that fall outside your monthly allowance.

Find out more: http://v.o2.co.uk/f2C7N4V9.

Additionally I received this text when I landed in Germany:

Welcome to GERMANY. Now, all calls, texts and data you use in our Europe Zone will come out of your normal UK allowance. So roaming in Europe feels just like home. For more info and terms, visit: www.o2.co.uk/paym/roam-in-eu. Call 112 for emergency services across Europe.

I am unaware how O2 can charge me for fair use when all the charges fall within my monthly allowance, and I have a £0 spend cap.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92919 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

You need to call customer service.

Call 202 from your mobile or use Skype to call 0800 032 1402

All other numbers and methods of contact are in this guide

Guide: Coronavirus Community Help and Support 

When you call, you will be asked for the reason you are calling,

Stay silent for 15 seconds and you will be taken to the keypad options.

Press 2 for Everything Else

Press 5 for More Options

Press 7 for Anything Else which will put you though to an advisor.

Press Upgrade, Lost/Stolen or Fraud if you have to.

8am is the best time to call

Message 2 of 8

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9988 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions
@Mattone

Text's are not guaranteed to be delivered especially whilst roaming. It is your responsibility to ensure you are not breaking the terms and conditions and Fair use policies.

Spend Caps don't apply to roaming inside the EU, as per the roam like home rules, and the spend cap rules.

The text in Germany is an automated text that goes to every mobile that is roaming, Enterprise, PAYG and Pay Monthly.
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 3 of 8

CYPER
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

My case is similar to OP.

Only difference is I have £0 Spend Cap, which should apply, but it didn't.

Yet I can't find any information from o2 saying that Spend Cap doesn't apply while roaming.

Can you please show me where it says it doesn't apply.

Thank you.

Message 4 of 8

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6266 Posts
  • 47 Topics
  • 1433 Solutions

Spend Caps only apply when you are in the UK and O2 can control what you do.

That can't happen when  connected to a foreign network.

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 5 of 8

CYPER
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

How is it possible with some other networks and not with o2?

Also where does it say it doesn't apply on roaming with o2?

Message 6 of 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@CYPER 

The guide here gives more specific details regarding what is and isn't included 

Guide: Spend caps on O2 

There are also individual bars you can apply.

Guide: O2 BARs 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 8

CYPER
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have read this guide and according to it "Calling, texting and using data, when you’re in a country which is outside of our Europe Zone." is included in the Spend cap. So it is reasonable to assume that "Calling, texting and using data, when you’re in a country which is inside of our Europe Zone" is also included.

So I am wondering where @madasaf1sh and @Enlli got their information from?

Message 8 of 8