cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed credit check through buymobiles.net but credit score is fine?

0121galvatron
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hey,

I just tried to get a new phone plan with an iPhone 13 plus a 24-month plan at £30/mo through buymobiles.net. £149 was to be paid for the phone up front.

However, some time after the order confirmation email, I got another email saying that O2 has rejected my application on the grounds of a failed credit check.

I've just checked my credit score via Equifax however and everything is fine? I've never missed a payment or gone into arrears. I've also had a contract with Virgin Media since 2019 where I'm paying £20 a month which isn't much less than the contract I just tried to buy, so I don't understand why I'd be rejected for this credit check.

I attempted to find out what happened using the O2 live chat, the man was helpful but could find no record of my order. I assume this is because it was done via a third-party seller (the order number is an 8 digit number which he didn't expect).

Please could someone give me a hand? I'd be willing to just pay for the entire contract up front if it meant I could switch provider -- ever since Virgin moved to Vodafone's network I no longer get any phone signal indoors in my apartment.

Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10113 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2995 Solutions

@0121galvatron 

Nothing to do with your credit score (which is a made up number). 

It will be down to credit and affordability checks, and o2's internal risk assessment. 

It might be worth speaking to buymobiles.net 

And you will have to wait upto 30days before trying again i am afraid. 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10113 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2995 Solutions

@0121galvatron 

Nothing to do with your credit score (which is a made up number). 

It will be down to credit and affordability checks, and o2's internal risk assessment. 

It might be worth speaking to buymobiles.net 

And you will have to wait upto 30days before trying again i am afraid. 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 2 of 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144064 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions

@0121galvatron 

You can try to get a sim only deal for a while (which will be easier) then in 3 months you should be eligible to upgrade to a handset too.

https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/sim-cards/sim-only-deals

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 4

K136
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I've recently had a similar problem, and also can't get any answers! But I did phone the o2 credit team - 0800 977 7793 - who were fairly helpful, but still can't sort my issue out.

I'm on Vodafone and desperate to leave them too - I feel your pain!

Message 4 of 4