Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Highlighted
Anonymous

FURIOUS about prank calls.

5 months ago I started receiving prank calls... in the beginning, up to 100 a day, and now it's dwindled (ha) to around 10 a day. By day, I mean from 9am to 4 30am. It's getting STUPID. Five months is ridiculous. Anyway, months ago I spoke to o2, who registered my complaint, told me they could see what number was calling me but couldn't reveal that info to me due to Data Protection Act, and that they could block all withheld numbers but not do anything about it and to get in touch with police. Police were actually even less helpful, asking me a hundred times whether I really think it's serious, and I have to say, yes, anyone who can call 100 times a day (and if I pick up they say nothing and will stay on the phone till my battery dies, literally) must be a little deranged. I cannot block all withheld numbers as foreign relatives often call from them.
Am getting very pissy about this. Police did not get back in touch, told me they would liase with o2 but evidently have not done so. Three days ago I called them again (o2) and have had no call-back as of yet.
It has become a point of contention - I will not change my number. I used a different number for a month and when I went back to my old number (which I've had for 8 years or more) they started calling again.
What would anyone else do in this situation?
Why can't o2 block that individual number, even if they cannot tell me who it is?
Highlighted
Anonymous

Re: FURIOUS about prank calls.

Obviously someone who phones you so many times is serious.
But are you? If it was me I'd use my phone to block all withheld number calls.
You changed your number, which is another good solution, then went back. Sorry, but I don't understand your logic.
You're unwilling to change your number or block number withheld calls. How badly do you want rid of this caller? Obviously not badly enough.
Having said that the whole situation does sound rather creepy. If you are really worried about this caller then surely you can ask the police to get their number from o2?
SV
Highlighted
Anonymous

I am not scared or intimidated, simply irritated.
I refuse to change my number because I've had the same number for almost ten years and since my phone got nicked a while back ago I don't have everyone's numbers yet and must wait for them to contact me. I cannot block withheld calls for family reasons, as I said, and have asked the police to get the number from O2, which they said they would. "We can get the number from them, but we can't tell you who it is, would you like to press charges?" I said YES and they never got back to me, and because they never sent me a crime reference number I can't do anything about it now except try and call them again, but I'm getting pretty annoyed...
I just want o2 to block this number or pass it on to the police and no one is taking me seriously. :/ If it comes to it I'll have to block withheld calls but there should be, after 5 months of stupid calls, an option to block this number.
Certain handsets can block withheld numbers, right? If I could get one of those, I could block withheld numbers for a couple of months and see if it phases out.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Certain handsets can block withheld numbers, right? If I could get one of those, I could block withheld numbers for a couple of months and see if it phases out.

A lot can.
All Android phones can (some need extra software from the Market). Most Nokia phones using the Symbian operation system can use call management software. Also the latest Windows phones.
What phone do you have now?
SV
Highlighted
Anonymous

Take a diary of each time you are called, so that when you go to the police you can give them a copy. I am not meaning like oh they called ten times today, I mean exact times like 4.32am, 6.18am, 9.22am etc
Highlighted
Anonymous

I had a diary of when they called, exact times, but I gave up after a while cos it was exhausting and because they started phoning at 4 30 am and similar (previously they didn't). I'll start it again.
Right now I have a Sony Ericcson k810i. I wasn't really planning on getting some kinda smartphone thing...
Highlighted
Anonymous

Forgot to mention that some SE's have call management. You can create a "whitelist" I believe from which only callers on that list will get through. This may apply to your model.
MENU > SETTINGS > CALLS > MANAGE CALLS > ACCEPT CALLS > FROM LIST.
SV