cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extremely slow internet

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello all

I recently changed my provider to o2 pay and go and received a new sim card which I put in my phone but the internet is so slow its unusable. I have checked my area and I should receive good 2G coverage which should allow me to at least browse the internet but when I checked speedtest.net (which I had to load using wi-fi) I got a download speed of 14 kbs which is useless and all web pages ending up crashing when I try and load them. My phone is a HTC Desire and I will be changing back to old provider if there is no improvement. Doe's anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good Morning,

Try removing your Sim Card and wiping it down to remove static build up.

Always phone 02 Customer Services to ensure your account is set up correctly and you have the correct APN Settings.

Also if you feel the mast may be at fault but is showing Ok online then report it.

Do other people where you live who are on 02 have the same issue ?

Try your sim in another phone to help rule out the phone or sim.

Contract Customers.

PAYG Customers.

From your O2 mobile 4445 25p per call
From a landline 0844 809 0222 5p / min

Live Chat Services are fine for Low Level General Enquiries, not connected to Account Enquiries.

Another option is to replace your current Sim Card by picking up a blank Sim Card from your local 02 shop, or ask for one to be posted to you.

Then carry out the SwapMySim procedure.

I have included the link to do this.

http://swapmysim.o2.co.uk/

Take into account it takes from approx 2 hours to 24 hours to fully activate, and by turning your phone off and on throughout this period helps to reset your services.

Also if you have just had a new sim card delivered and activated this too can take up to 24 hours to fully activate, and as such as said above keep turning your phone off and on to help activate your services. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good Morning,

Try removing your Sim Card and wiping it down to remove static build up.

Always phone 02 Customer Services to ensure your account is set up correctly and you have the correct APN Settings.

Also if you feel the mast may be at fault but is showing Ok online then report it.

Do other people where you live who are on 02 have the same issue ?

Try your sim in another phone to help rule out the phone or sim.

Contract Customers.

PAYG Customers.

From your O2 mobile 4445 25p per call
From a landline 0844 809 0222 5p / min

Live Chat Services are fine for Low Level General Enquiries, not connected to Account Enquiries.

Another option is to replace your current Sim Card by picking up a blank Sim Card from your local 02 shop, or ask for one to be posted to you.

Then carry out the SwapMySim procedure.

I have included the link to do this.

http://swapmysim.o2.co.uk/

Take into account it takes from approx 2 hours to 24 hours to fully activate, and by turning your phone off and on throughout this period helps to reset your services.

Also if you have just had a new sim card delivered and activated this too can take up to 24 hours to fully activate, and as such as said above keep turning your phone off and on to help activate your services. 

Message 2 of 5

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello all

I recently changed my provider to o2 pay and go and received a new sim card which I put in my phone but the internet is so slow its unusable. I have checked my area and I should receive good 2G coverage which should allow me to at least browse the internet but when I checked speedtest.net (which I had to load using wi-fi) I got a download speed of 14 kbs which is useless and all web pages ending up crashing when I try and load them. My phone is a HTC Desire and I will be changing back to old provider if there is no improvement. Doe's anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

That is the correct speed for o2 gprs 2g signal

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 3 of 5

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

You need 3G in your area to get decent download speeds, have you checked here?

http://status.o2.co.uk/

and here:

http://www.o2.co.uk/coveragechecker

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 4 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

As your saying 2g is useless for your needs then you should follow your own suggestion to perhaps change to a Network provider that does offer 3g where you live, commute and work/school.

Message 5 of 5