cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extortionate text costs from USA

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have O2 simplicity 300 and as such I get unlimited free texts but was billed for more than £70 in texting from the USA. My package does not state free texts in the uk like the call tariffs do, just free unlimited texts. How does O2 get away with that advertising slogan and does anyone know if it is possible to get compensation for mis-advertising. There is no bolt on covering whilst you are away on holiday outside Europe so I expected to be charged for messages to USA phones but not from my uk phone in the USA back to the uk.
Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

sms are free within the uk, allowance permitting, they are also free from the uk to any uk mobile regardless of where they are in the world as it is still a uk mobile you are texting.

however when you are not in the uk, customers are charged at the roaming rate for that particular country they are travelling to, EU countries are currently 8.5p per sms sent. The rest of the world can vary dependant on country from 25p each to 40p each on contract and a flat rate of 49p each on prepay for all countries

Sorry if you feel let down but the information is readily available on this site, http://international.o2.co.uk/internationaltariffs/travelling_abroad or by simply calling customer service and asking

thanks

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

it is clear in the T&C if you had read them

from the t&C

Inclusive messages on Pay Monthly tariffs can be used for texts sent in the UK to UK mobiles from your SIM Card for private and personal purposes. This doesn’t include international texts

http://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/mobile/our-latest-pay-monthly-tariff-terms

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 4

Anonymous
Not applicable
Any international calls & text are charged, not inclusive, did you receive a text informing you of the charges
Message 3 of 4

Anonymous
Not applicable

sms are free within the uk, allowance permitting, they are also free from the uk to any uk mobile regardless of where they are in the world as it is still a uk mobile you are texting.

however when you are not in the uk, customers are charged at the roaming rate for that particular country they are travelling to, EU countries are currently 8.5p per sms sent. The rest of the world can vary dependant on country from 25p each to 40p each on contract and a flat rate of 49p each on prepay for all countries

Sorry if you feel let down but the information is readily available on this site, http://international.o2.co.uk/internationaltariffs/travelling_abroad or by simply calling customer service and asking

thanks

Message 4 of 4