cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expiry rules

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just bought a couple of PAYG SIMs and added the £10 top up to each of them. What is not clear anywhere what is required to keep this SIM alive after 6 months.

My understanding was that it had to be a chargeable event for it to continue, whereby chargeable could be a SMS (and not just a call).

Will sending a SMS within the 6 months reset the clock each time?

Message 1 of 15
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey guys to confirm you do have to both topup every 999 days along with a chargeable activity every 6 months. If not the number will be deactivated. 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93214 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6969 Solutions

Cleoriff
  • 122893 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@AnonymousYou need to make a chargeable call or text every 6 months and top up every 999 days to keep sim active

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

The 999 is part of the rule as well? That is less than 3 years ...

Is that certain that it is part of that as it means I have to find another provider (this SIM goes in a communication device which is not a phone but can send SMS messages).

Message 4 of 15

Cleoriff
  • 122893 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

The 999 is part of the rule as well? That is less than 3 years ...

Is that certain that it is part of that as it means I have to find another provider (this SIM goes in a communication device which is not a phone but can send SMS messages).

Yes the 999 days is part of the rule as well. We had this clarified just recently by one of our community managers ...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok - thank you for confirming that.

Message 6 of 15

MI5
  • 144290 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions
How many messages does it send, roughly?
Point to note is that all PAYG sims on all networks will turn off after periods of inactivity, so finding another provider that lets you put £10 on every 5 years might prove difficult.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have scheduled the unit to send a chargeable SMS every month, so that was not a problem. This would mean that a topop because of credit would only be required after a great number of years, not less than 3 years.

I have found that GiffGaff (also on the O2 network) does not have this requirement, so I guess that means I have to buy those SIMs instead.

Thank you all for the responses.

Message 8 of 15

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12065 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
Do we know that you have to do both, or just one?
I mean do you have to use credit every 6 months AND top up within 999 days, or could you just use credit until it runs out and then top up?
@Martin-O2 @Marjo @MercedesS can you confirm (unless someone can do it quicker) if it is one or other or both?

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 9 of 15

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@gmarkj wrote:
Do we know that you have to do both, or just one?
I mean do you have to use credit every 6 months AND top up within 999 days, or could you just use credit until it runs out and then top up?
@Martin-O2 @Marjo @MercedesS can you confirm (unless someone can do it quicker) if it is one or other or both?

I'll ask the team now @gmarkj

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 10 of 15