Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excessive unexplained data usage

Linda52
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I've been using a Huawei mobile WiFi device for about 5 months and my average usage has been just over 1GB of data. This month it's used the 6GB but I've barely used it and even then it was for emails, a bit of Google and some time on fb. I purchased 2GBs yesterday tide me over and it's already down to 1.15 GBs. What's going on?
Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Linda52

Hello

Have you added any new devices recently, for example a laptop?

If the laptop is running Windows 10 it maybe an update that has used your data as Microsoft release a cumulative update each month that combines a number of patches which can exceed 1GB in size.

You can pause these for a number of days by typing update into the Cortana search, click Windows Update Settings, then Advanced options, pause updates.

You can set the amount of time you want to pause them but as they tend to include security patches I would recommend installing them as soon as you can.

You should also let Windows know the connection is metered by following the instructions here https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4028458/windows-metered-connections-in-windows-10

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Linda52

There have been a few people complaining about supposed excessive data use this past few weeks. You may want to ring customer services and check this out https://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

Edited to ask if the data usage matches up in My O2 and what the device states?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Has someone else logged onto the hotspot?
First thing I'd do is change the password.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Linda52

Hello

Have you added any new devices recently, for example a laptop?

If the laptop is running Windows 10 it maybe an update that has used your data as Microsoft release a cumulative update each month that combines a number of patches which can exceed 1GB in size.

You can pause these for a number of days by typing update into the Cortana search, click Windows Update Settings, then Advanced options, pause updates.

You can set the amount of time you want to pause them but as they tend to include security patches I would recommend installing them as soon as you can.

You should also let Windows know the connection is metered by following the instructions here https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4028458/windows-metered-connections-in-windows-10

Message 4 of 9

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35213 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

Good point about the hot-spot feature on an android phone and the (tethered?) other (Win10) device using up the mobile data, @Anonymous. 

Message 5 of 9

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi @Linda52, did you get a chance to look at the replies above? There are some really good suggestions in there, please let us know if any of them help you find out more about what happened on your account slight_smile

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 6 of 9

Linda52
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for the help, everyone. Looks as if you might have helped me sort out the issue...but only time will tell.

Message 7 of 9

Linda52
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks.
Message 8 of 9

Linda52
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions