cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excessive monthly bill

Anonymous
Not applicable

Apologies for the length of the text, but some background would help.  My son lost his mobile less than 2 month ago and did not tell me or O2.  His monthly contract bill was no more than £16-17 for nearly 2 years since I changed his PAYG to pay Monthly contract.

All was well until March when I noticed the bill was £73.11 and paid by Direct Debit.  I tried to contact my son, who is studying in Manchester University and I live in Slough, to no avail.  To my horror, this month bill was £103.75 and was paid automatically by DD on the 22nd of and I only just found out that he lost his mobile.  I contacted customer care immediately(today) and requested the number be cancelled immediately and it was.  However, and to my horror, I was told that there is over £400 in international calls and that I have to pay them.  I argued that O2 Fraud system should have spotted something is not right and alarms should have been triggered.  I was told that many SMSs were sent, the first being on the 31st March informing me to keep track of my spending especially the spending has exceeded the normal amount.  I was further told that many SMSs were sent in April and for me to call back.  But obviously I did not get them nor my son.  I was told that on one SMS, the message was that I may be roaming overseas, they stop the roaming.  I was further told that the roaming was stopped on more than once occasion.  It is suffice to say that between the time I paid the last bill of 103, i.e. 22nd April and today, there was over £400 of charges for international calls. 

I admit and take the responsibility on my son's behalf that O2 should have been contacted when he lost his mobile, but surely O2 has failed to act professionally and to protect me as a customer.  O2 could have at least capped the expenditure or even suspend the account until I contact them especially that I did not contact or reply to O2 despite the many SMSs and emails, which by the way was the wrong email and I never provided it.  The good thing is that O2 Fraud apps spotted the issue with the account.  However, it was not acted upon as expected. 

The frustrating bit is that the guy from customer care kept repeating that I was responsible and that I must pay the £400 and refused to acknowledge or accept that O2 shoulder some responsibility as well.  Suffice to say that I have already cancelled the Direct Debit and preparing for a fight with O2.  As I work for O2, I am not only disappointed, but this is going to affect my relationship along with my friends and family with O2. 

I would appreciate any advice from anyone who experience this before and willing to share information on how best to tackle the issue.   

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

there is an email address for complaints on this page http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/srvs/cgi-bin/webcgi.exe?New,KB=Companion,question=ref(user):str(RelatedHe... 

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 11 of 13

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Can anyone tells me please as to why O2 has invested so much money in a Fraud application that will detect Fraud and misuse of mobile if not to protect customers?

As an employee I doubt you should be discussing any O2 fraud procedures as you clearly don't understand them or how they work.

There was no fraud here, just a customer using their phone.

You could even be trying a fraud yourself to avoid a large bill if you look at this from their point of view.

I would be more concerned about how I was going to pay the bill if I were you.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 12 of 13

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92923 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I do hope you get some sort of gesture from O2 but really, it's your son who should be looking at his totally irresponsible actions and where your guidance is most needed.

Do let us know how you get on.

Message 13 of 13