Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excessive International charges

Hero123
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I have just received my monthly bill and have a £68 charge for using international data in Qatar. My flight connection was so short that I was met at arrivals and taken to my next flight by staff. I was on the ground for 90 mins and have a bill for £68. I sent one WhatsApp message....! I am now Indonesia and have another bill for £38 for 1hr data - this is with my mobile data and data roaming switched off. Can any one explain that...!
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Hero123 

You need to ask O2 to explain it to you.
All numbers are in this guide Guide: Coronavirus Community Help and Support 
When you call, you will be asked for the reason you are calling.
Stay silent for 15 seconds and you will be taken to the keypad options.
Press 2 for Everything Else
Press 5 for More Options
Press 7 for Anything Else which will put you though to someone.
You can also try saying "Upgrade" or "Fraud" to be connected to an advisor.
8.00am is the best time to call if you can.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 6

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9983 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions
@Hero123

This sounds like Whatsapp abd some other apps have seen the data connection, and started to do back ground data usage and at £7.20 per m/b so around 9mb of data and just over 5mb in Indonesia.

Ensure any WiFi assist settings are switched off as these will fall back to mobile data.

For o2 to bill you they will have seen a mobile data connection from your sim card.
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 3 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
So Whatsapp and other apps can access mobile data when you have it turned off?
When my mobile data is set to off it's off.
Message 4 of 6

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11991 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
If you restart your phone, or turn airplane mode on/off it will connect to data for a short while.
This is even more the case if you have an iPhone as it will register for iMessages and VVM (Visual VoiceMail).

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 5 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
If mobile data is set to off before you restart your phone why would it connect to mobile data?
The phone is pre-instructed not to.
I can see that if mobile data was set to on before you restarted the phone, it might access mobile data for a very short while before you can set it to off.
Message 6 of 6