cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Erroneous advice

Anonymous
Not applicable

I really felt I had to write something after FIVE chats with o2 on the same topic.

I explained the situation:

I will be away for a month and have no access to Wi-Fi. So I bought a 3G Mobile Mi-Fi. All I needed was a SIM 🙂 I explained I wanted to use the phone also whilst I was away.

The Operator 1 said all I need was an additional SIM, same number as my mobile. After 5 days it hadn't arrived.

Operator 2 said SIM had been despatched. I explained situation. He said the SIM despatched was a spare for the mobile. No use with Mi-FI. I would need a PAYG SIM for that. As I wanted to test this, I ordered PAYG SIM for immediate delivery. And another one for delivery in late August. (They only last 30 days).

I tested the MI-FI SIM and - surprise, surprise - no connectivity.

Operator 3 said it needed to be activated, although I had been advised by Operator 2 it was preactivated. Operator 3 also said I did not need a Wi-Fi PAYG SIM, all I needed was an additional SIM, same number as my mobile - as per Operator 1. He also said he would cancel the WI-FI SIM I used for testing. 5 days later this one hadn't arrived. 

Operator 4 said no SIM had been despatched, and yes, I did need a PAYG SIM for MI-FI. He checked, and said that Operator 3 had not cancelled the WI-FI SIM. He put me through to the PAYG team and they cancelled - hopefully.

Confused? Imagine how I feel after posing a simple question. I must have been on chat for a total of more than 2 hours. I still don't know the correct answer to the question. Either O2 needs to offer more training to its operators or they need to improve their grasp of English.

Not a happy bunny.

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144334 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
The first problem is that you can't have 2 sims with the same number!
The Mi-Fi devices can be bought here http://www.o2.co.uk/broadband you just need to top them up same as PAYG or set up a rolling payment for them.
Some of them that come as a device and sim come pre loaded but if you just get the sim you have to top it up first.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 18

aldaweb
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

I take it that you didn't buy the MiFi from O2 or it should have come with a SIM.

If that is the case make sure it is unlocked for any network.

As MI5 has said you cannot have 2 SIMs with the same number on O2 and Data (MiFi or Tablet) SIMs are different to Phone SIMs in the connectivity they allow.

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 3 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Does it not concern anyone else that operator 1 said you need another sim with same number something that can't be done 😞
Message 4 of 18

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Just another instance of the limitations of web chat. Maybe one of the admin can look at feeding this back. That's absolutely woeful advice.

Message 5 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes I agree Jonsie one for @Toby and @Anonymous
Message 6 of 18

MI5
  • 144334 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Does it not concern anyone else that operator 1 said you need anothersim with same number something that can't be done 😞

Yes, me....

That's why I mentioned it in my first reply.....

You know what Live Chat are like though so nothing surprises me anymore 😞

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree mi5 they haven't improved obviously 😞
Message 8 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is so love to be able to confidently direct people to use Live Chat for everything instead of just low level general enquiries. 😞
Message 9 of 18

MI5
  • 144334 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
One day bob.... One day !!!

Currently using:
Message 10 of 18