cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ending SIM only contract..? Please help!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello!
10 months ago I took out a 12 month 'Simplicity for smart phones' which at the time was £15/month for unlimited data, unlimited texts and 300 minutes. It seems the SIM only deals have changed now. The cheapest SIM only deals are now over £20/month. Also, data is limited to a certain amount of MB. Mine definitely said 'unlimited data' when I took out the contract - is my data still unlimited? If it is limited, how do I find out what it is limited to?
If it is still unlimited (and I'm just lucky that deals were good when I took out my contract) then will this exact same contract continue on a rolling 30 day contract forever, in 2 months when the contract ends? If so, it would be nice to stay on the contract and have the unlimited data. However I wanted a blackberry, so would this SIM work in a blackberry? If I just bought a blackberry myself this would work out around 20 pounds a month for a rolling 30 day contract including UNLIMITED DATA - amazing!
If this sim won't work in a blackberry however, I'll get the Tesco mobile blackberry contract of £20/month with 1GB of data - last question, is 1GB enough for frequent internet usage on a blackberry? Will I need to watch my usage at all? Or is that basically the same as unlimited? I'll be using facebook, BBM, the usual stuff slight_smile
Thanks so much for your help, sorry for all the questions!
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
If you are still on the same tariff you took out 10 months ago then your data is still unlimited and will remain so as long as you remain on the tariff.
The data stops being unlimited as soon as you change anything, ie renew the contract, change the tariff, or change the data bolt on. Unfortunately for you changing a blackberry necessitates changing the bolt on to a blackberry- specific one, and this will come with the 500 mb data limit. As long as your current plan runs unmolested nothing would change, so I would either consider another type of phone that will work with your current account settings (nothing to do with the sim, everything to do with the account setup) or, look into your data usage, is 500mb really not enough?
Message 2 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
If you are still on the same tariff you took out 10 months ago then your data is still unlimited and will remain so as long as you remain on the tariff.
The data stops being unlimited as soon as you change anything, ie renew the contract, change the tariff, or change the data bolt on. Unfortunately for you changing a blackberry necessitates changing the bolt on to a blackberry- specific one, and this will come with the 500 mb data limit. As long as your current plan runs unmolested nothing would change, so I would either consider another type of phone that will work with your current account settings (nothing to do with the sim, everything to do with the account setup) or, look into your data usage, is 500mb really not enough?

Thanks for your help. This may be off topic, but what's the 'catch' with the Carphone Warehouse? I've found this deal which looks really good:
http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/buy/BL ... 3TX20-FCON
i.e. far better than any deals on the Three website, but I don't know why. If I take out this contract though the Carphone Warehouse is there any kind of 'catch', like cashback or something? And you're probably right that 500mb is enough, I don't know much about these things (...clearly)
Thanks again
EDIT: it says '500MB data per month does not cover BlackBerry services' - might this be the 'catch'...?
Message 3 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
The main catch with Three, for me, would be 'will it work?' I notice there doesn't seem to be an option to add BB services to the deal, even when you add it to the basket, but it does stick on a nice £8.99 per month geek squad charge. It's a strange one.
Have you looked at o2's direct BB offer which strikes me as better than that? It's £25, but you get 500 mins, unltd SMS, 500mb web browsing plus BB services and wifi all included?
Message 4 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
The main catch with Three, for me, would be 'will it work?' I notice there doesn't seem to be an option to add BB services to the deal, even when you add it to the basket, but it does stick on a nice £8.99 per month geek squad charge. It's a strange one.
Have you looked at o2's direct BB offer which strikes me as better than that? It's £25, but you get 500 mins, unltd SMS, 500mb web browsing plus BB services and wifi all included?

Oh okay, thanks. Do you know what the difference is between 02 'BlackBerry Bonus 24 months' and just the 'BlackBerry 24 months'. Why is blackberry 'bonus' such a better deal? does it not include BBM and email or something? At £20/month and with 1GB of data, Tesco Mobile does seem better.
Message 5 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
The o2 plan is called Blackberry bonus because tyou get the extra minutes. Is the other one you mention on Tesco, rather than o2? AFAIK that one only offers 250 mins, it entirely depends on what you wantand if youre a light user, like me, then it should be fine.
only you can decide whats best for you. I would just say look at what your getting as well as what your paying and also check what is and isnt chargeable as networks differ
Message 6 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
The o2 plan is called Blackberry bonus because tyou get the extra minutes. Is the other one you mention on Tesco, rather than o2? AFAIK that one only offers 250 mins, it entirely depends on what you wantand if youre a light user, like me, then it should be fine.
only you can decide whats best for you. I would just say look at what your getting as well as what your paying and also check what is and isnt chargeable as networks differ

Well I was just wondering why, underneath where it shows the 'blackberry bonus 24 months' tariffs, it shows the standard 'blackberry 24 months', where the deals are much worse e.g. you only get 100mins for 25 quid, and have to pay for the phone. Was wondering why the non 'bonus' tariffs are worse for the same price.
Message 7 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm not sure what you mean, can you provide a link? AFAIK the BB Bonus tariffs are o2's only specific BB tariffs, the rest are just standard tariffs with a bolt added, same as you can buy for any phone. That's why these ones are 'bonus' tariffs, they are exclusive.
Message 8 of 8