Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

End of contract

FAQ
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I want to change to a sim only contract when my final device payment has been taken. How do I cancel device payment and then change the contract?
Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12069 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions

@FAQ wrote:
Thank you for your reply. I have heard that device payments continue to be taken. Have the companies now been forced to stop them?

This is down to how some contracts work.

Having been a customer of o2's for a while, I am not sure about other providers.

But, if you take a contract with o2 through a 3rd party (for instance Carphone Warehouse) they are all-in-one meaning that one payment for phone and allowance/tariff.

This is normally for 2 years.

So at the end of the two years if you do nothing you are still paying for the phone and the allowance - when you could swap to a cheaper allowance only deal.

The media coverage recently is because people did not realise this, and carried on with their old payments as the contract becomes a rolling one once the minimum term has ended.

o2 offer the refresh system, meaning that your phone is paid for separately from your allowance - so once you have completed the minimum period (or earlier if you pay it off before) your payments for your phone do stop.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

@FAQ 

Your device payment will stop automatically so no need to cancel anything. 

To change to SIM only you can go through the upgrade process in your MyO2 or call customer service on 202 or visit your local O2 store.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 5

FAQ
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thank you for your reply. I have heard that device payments continue to be taken. Have the companies now been forced to stop them?
Message 3 of 5

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@FAQ wrote:

That was the case some time ago if you didn't cancel...but if you want to change to sim only, let them know about 2 weeks before your contract ends via the upgrade process. As said, either via My O2 or phoning customer services Guide: How to find help & contact O2 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 5

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12069 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions

@FAQ wrote:

This is down to how some contracts work.

Having been a customer of o2's for a while, I am not sure about other providers.

But, if you take a contract with o2 through a 3rd party (for instance Carphone Warehouse) they are all-in-one meaning that one payment for phone and allowance/tariff.

This is normally for 2 years.

So at the end of the two years if you do nothing you are still paying for the phone and the allowance - when you could swap to a cheaper allowance only deal.

The media coverage recently is because people did not realise this, and carried on with their old payments as the contract becomes a rolling one once the minimum term has ended.

o2 offer the refresh system, meaning that your phone is paid for separately from your allowance - so once you have completed the minimum period (or earlier if you pay it off before) your payments for your phone do stop.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 5 of 5