cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

End of Contract

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok so here's a question. Myself and my wife are on my account. She has a Samsung S7 and I have a Sony Z5. However we have them swapped around, so currently
She has mobile number A with the S7, with a contract/bill that shows Sony z5 device plan, and contract about to send in November.
I have mobile number B with the Z5, with a contract /bill that shows the Samsung s7 device plan and contract to end in July 2018.

Here's the question... I want to leave o2 as they are too expensive and I will get a better phone for half the price with more data elsewhere. When I leave, my mobile phone number is part of the contract that continues to next July.

I want to know if it is possible on o2 to swap the numbers around on the two contracts, so that the contract with number B ends in November, and number A now continues until July.

I could just give my number B to my wife and get a new number C with the new provider, but we've had our numbers for years and want to keep them.

So that's the question.. Can numbers on the same account be swapped around? Or does the telephone number A have to end in November if I want to leave. I hope this is explained enough. It's a complicated one...
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
As far as I am aware if you will not be able to swap numbers like that.
A previous customer tried and ended up losing one of the numbers.
Some examples here:
https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Swapping-numbers/m-p/1036108/highlight/true#M12...
https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Swapping-Phone-Numbers/m-p/1027876/highlight/tr...
https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Two-Contracts-Number-Swap/m-p/679977/highlight/...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 2 of 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
All you can do is swap sim cards between the phones and upgrade the one that ends soonest.
You will of course be able to get your PAC to take phone number to new provider.
The sim and phone combination doesn't matter as it is the actual number that is your account.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
So would it be possible to lose number B, as I do not mind getting a new number. So then number A comes into the account with the contract to July. The account with the contract till July therefore continues with number A, number B is lost and I have a new number C with my new provider...??
Message 4 of 8

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Yes, you can do it that way. Just ask customer service to switch the number you want to keep. The account that came from will terminate immediately and the final bill will be generated.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry to be a pain and continue this thread, and thanks so much for being so helpful...

If I do this, you say that the account (and the respective number) will close and a final bill be generated. Does this mean that

1) there will be charges for ending contract B, a new contract on the 'about to end ' contract A, and then using number A with contract B, losing number B

Or

2) Contract A will end, at the usual time of November, and number A will now be used with contract B, losing number B

Obviously I want the 2nd option really.

Aggghh my brain hurts
Message 6 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Aggghh my brain hurts

So does mine @Anonymous...so I will look, listen and watch to see the answer LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 8

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
The account the number comes from will end.
The final bill will include any charges that take it to it's minimum term, so if ending in November, you need to pay another 3 months of charges which will be added to the final bill.
The account that you transfer the number to, will not change in duration at all, just the number will change.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 8