cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email from Social Queries (UK) <SocialQueries>;

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

ive been conversing with o2 via facebook messenger as I keep losing )2 signal at home and some other outdoor locations. Yesterday I received an email from the above address asking for 

Thanks for your email.

For security reasons, please can you confirm and answer the following;

(edited for security)

Once I've got these details, I'll be able to help you further.

Is this legitamate ?

Message 1 of 13
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Hi guys,

So, this email was sent from a legitimate O2 email address which is used to communicate OUT to customers on certain queries. The questions are genuine security questions and password character requests are used to increase security over asking for a full password.

Also, the characters requested in these emails change regularly, ensuring that members wont be asked for the same character every time, making the system more secure.

@MI5 is correct, you should always be careful with emails as a general rule and if you ever have a concern, send me a message any time and I can clarify things for you.

Cheers
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like a security check O2 carry out.

Have you looked at your service status by Inputting your postcode ?

http://status.o2.co.uk

Look at this help
Thread http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Self-help-guide-Is-the-network-down-for-me-or-ev...

Message 2 of 13

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144900 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27775 Solutions

That's one that only an O2 employee can answer for sure, but you are right to be cautious.....

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 13

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23191 Posts
  • 1028 Topics
  • 3688 Solutions

It does not sound like an O2 security check. It sounds like a scam. I don't know of any legitimate company that would ask you for you to supply those kinds of details using unsecure email. You should not reply to it by email under any circumstances. I certainly wouldn't. If you're not using a really difficult to break password on Facebook your account could have easily been compromised. I've had quite a few friends who have had their Facebook accounts hacked. I would call O2 Customer Services and report it. 

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is the email address the social media team use that use Twitter and Facebook.

Message 5 of 13

Bambino
  • 23191 Posts
  • 1028 Topics
  • 3688 Solutions

Wanty. Does the social media team ask those kinds of security questions and expect a reply via email? If so, that's a dreadfully insecure system. 

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 6 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Bambino wrote:

Wanty. Does the social media team ask those kinds of security questions and expect a reply via email? If so, that's a dreadfully insecure system. 

If I'm completly honest I'm not sure off the top of my head, and perhaps one of the social guys here could find out for definate @Toby . It does sound right though, I know our outbound email team sometimes has to send emails like that if the information given hasn't been enough to pass security on the account so makes sense that the social media team would have to do the same level of DPA.

If you look on the Twitter page they ask customers to contact them on the above email, so I would have thought the OP would have contacted them via that channel first.

Message 7 of 13

Bambino
  • 23191 Posts
  • 1028 Topics
  • 3688 Solutions

If they do use that insecure of a system is it any wonder why we see so many posts from people in the forum whose accounts have been compromised? There isn't any way I would send my account details to anyone in an insecure email.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 8 of 13

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Hi guys,

So, this email was sent from a legitimate O2 email address which is used to communicate OUT to customers on certain queries. The questions are genuine security questions and password character requests are used to increase security over asking for a full password.

Also, the characters requested in these emails change regularly, ensuring that members wont be asked for the same character every time, making the system more secure.

@MI5 is correct, you should always be careful with emails as a general rule and if you ever have a concern, send me a message any time and I can clarify things for you.

Cheers
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 9 of 13

Bambino
  • 23191 Posts
  • 1028 Topics
  • 3688 Solutions
Thanks for the clarification, Toby. Personally, I would never reply to an email asking for security information. Not from O2 or from anyone, for that matter. Nor would I give out that information if I was phoned and asked for it. Just my take on it.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 10 of 13