cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Early upgrades

Anonymous
Not applicable

I currently have no phone and I am paying £40 a month for a phone I cant use, I cant afford to take out a contract with a different phone company and pay this contract. Nor can I afford to buy a new phone, I've been with o2 for several years and have never had any problems before but I feel I may have to cancel my contract with o2 due to my current financial situation. Other phone companies offer an early upgrade with the additional months left over on the old contract added on to the new contract, I would be most grateful if this could be arranged or if I could get some information on how to go about cancelling this contract and transferring to a new network. 

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

version7point0
Level 33: Firestarter
  • 648 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 181 Solutions

Hi bperkins.

What happened to your phone?

Although you are correct, other networks do have some kind of early upgrade scheme, you always have to pay for the priviledge.

If you are insitant on leaving O2 you will need to pay your current tariff price multiplied by the amount of months you have left in contract, an expensive option.

Your cheapest option would be to ask around friends and family to see if they have a spare o2 or unlocked phone for you to use, chances are someone you know has a draw full of old phones.

Pay & Go phones can be bought from as little as £9.99 and due to you being on contract, if your phone has been lost/damaged/stolen you will not need to pay the £10 top-up.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23061 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

I don't really know what your financial circumstances are, or how you came to having no phone, but you cannot just cancel your contract. You will have to pay off the remaining months if you want to leave. If you cancel your contract without paying it will impact negatively on your credit rating. You wouldn't be able to get a contract with a different phone company, or credit for anything else for that matter. You can pick up a cheap sim free phone from practically anywhere and use that. Ebay would be a good place to start. Try to speak to O2 Customer Services and explain your problem. They might be able to help you find a solution.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
You can get a phone that can make calls and send texts for a fiver. Just put your sim in it.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 5

version7point0
Level 33: Firestarter
  • 648 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 181 Solutions

Hi bperkins.

What happened to your phone?

Although you are correct, other networks do have some kind of early upgrade scheme, you always have to pay for the priviledge.

If you are insitant on leaving O2 you will need to pay your current tariff price multiplied by the amount of months you have left in contract, an expensive option.

Your cheapest option would be to ask around friends and family to see if they have a spare o2 or unlocked phone for you to use, chances are someone you know has a draw full of old phones.

Pay & Go phones can be bought from as little as £9.99 and due to you being on contract, if your phone has been lost/damaged/stolen you will not need to pay the £10 top-up.

Hope this helps.

Message 4 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

Either do as mi5 suggests get a cheap phone or use a landline as a back up plan

Message 5 of 5