cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Early termination

Anonymous
Not applicable

I recently had to leave O2, and I have been billed for early termination charges.

I changed to EE and am actually paying a higher amount than I was with O2 for the same tariff so am now being penalised twice.

I spoke to an adviser and explained everything. The reason for leaving was simply that we moved home and the signal was very poor, most of the time non existent, I was paying for a service I was not able to get. O2 must take some responsibility for this, so how do I get this charge deleted?
Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately O2 cannot be responsible for you moving house......could you not have used TuGo?

I'm sure you would of been made aware of the early termination fees when you cancelled.

Message 2 of 29

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144360 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
Sorry but moving house is not a valid reason to cancel without penalty.
As per the T&C's you must buy out of the contract to end it.
This should have been explained when you contacted CS but it is clearly stated in your contract too.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sorry but I disagree. Moving to a different area is a very valid reason for early termination. No provider can supply 100% coverage so it is their moral responsibility to help a customer with any problem and if this problem cannot be resolved then the customer should be free of any penalties. 

Message 4 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable

No provider claims to provide 100% coverage as stated in their T's & C's but if you move to an area not covered by their service, that cannot be the networks fault.

If you had WiFi, could you of used the TuGo app?

Message 5 of 29

MI5
  • 144360 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm sorry but I disagree. Moving to a different area is a very valid reason for early termination. No provider can supply 100% coverage so it is their moral responsibility to help a customer with any problem and if this problem cannot be resolved then the customer should be free of any penalties. 

Whilst that is great in theory, it doesn't apply legally I'm afraid.

Check the T&C's that you agreed to (will be the same for EE too) 

http://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable

I already said that, and I'm not blaming the network, what I said was they have a moral responsibility.  O2 must have legal committments to their customers re provision of service.  Regarding the TuGo app it might have worked but no-one at O2 Customer Service suggested this to me. Question is why not?   

Message 7 of 29

MI5
  • 144360 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
We have no way of knowing why Tugo wasn't suggested to you.
If you had come here to ask, we would have done but we can't speak for CS.
I am surprised though as it seems to be pushed from all angles.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 29

Cleoriff
  • 122927 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

If it would help now...here is the link to Tugo. Have a read through....

http://www.o2.co.uk/apps/tu-go

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm surprised they didn't mention TuGo as a solution.....was your handset a smartphone?

Message 10 of 29