cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Early termination fee - VAT or no VAT?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi people,

I've had different answers on chat, over the phone and in store. If I end my O2 contract early, will I be charged VAT on the remaining months? I am not disputing anything, I am simply checking what the case is with O2, as I'm getting conflicting information.

I did it with another network a number of years ago and VAT was excluded, but I know networks will operate differently.

Anyone know for sure?

Many thanks

Message 1 of 14
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi everyone,

Just updating this thread in case it helps other customers in future - I obtained my PAC and used it, my final bill has arrived and it does not include VAT on the remaining months.

Many thanks

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143425 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
If it's a standard contract it's your basic monthly rate multiplied by the number of months, so yes, vat is included in the costs.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 122360 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@AnonymousIf you are on a personal contract you will be charged the amount of months outstanding which are vat inclusive I believe. Business contracts are different https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Cancelling-Your-Contract-A-Guide/ba-p/566774#M56526

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 14

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

Oh hang on.  If I remember you can’t be charged VAT on a product you haven’t used.

i believe no network can charge you, I may be wrong, but I would check with O2 retention team for final price. 

Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 4 of 14

MI5
  • 143425 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
It's a discussion we've had previously on here.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 14

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

This is a 2016 Article.

https://kenstechtips.com/index.php/cancelling-your-mobile-phone-contract-early-termination-fees-alte...

It it shows all the network termination fees and every network is different. 

From reading it. O2 are one of the networks that charge the full amount. 

Good to to read for other networks.  Also bare in mind it’s fro. 2016 so you agreement may be a little different. 

Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 6 of 14

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey @Anonymous I'll double check what the VAT situation is when cancelling early! 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 7 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi everyone,

Just updating this thread in case it helps other customers in future - I obtained my PAC and used it, my final bill has arrived and it does not include VAT on the remaining months.

Many thanks

Message 8 of 14

MI5
  • 143425 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I'm glad they've changed that then as we've always said it was wrong.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 14

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I don't know how they got away with it for so long. My understanding, having worked in and ownng a VAT registered business, my understanding is that you cannot charge VAT on a service not supplied. This point was strictly adhered to at one time, hence you would pay less for or more for cold or hot food. Retailers seem to have long since 'forgotten' this legal obligation.

Message 10 of 14