Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Anonymous

Early Upgrade to iPhone (It's not possible)

If you want to upgrade whilst still more than a month away from end of contract then you have no official options with o2. All you can do is cancel your existing contract and open up a new one for the iPhone.

There are two options depending on whether you want to keep you existing number or not.

Option A (Get new number)
* Cancel contract (pay off existing contract months as lump sum)
* Open new contract for the iPhone

Option B (Keep Number)
* Register for Pay as you go on another network
* Request your o2 number be transfered to Pay as you go on other network
* Cancel contract (pay off existing contract months as lump sum)
* Open new contract for the iPhone and request original number is transfer from Pay as you go.

These options are an absolute farce, considering that the customer wants to give o2 more money to get an iPhone.

o2's policy of not allowing a user to pay for an early upgrade is an out of date policy that worked fine prior to the iPhone. If you wanted an early upgrade, you just bought a phone from elsewhere and switched sim. As that is not possible with the iPhone, they should change their policy.
Anonymous

Option B, is not a option. if you are still in contract with o2, you can not transfer your number. Even if you pay the remaining months line rental off, you will loose your number.
Anonymous

Hmmm I registered solely to ask about this as Kevin in the Sheffield(?) upgrades call centre advised me there was no way until the last month of my current contract.

I don't know the business acumen for allowing this but I am really surprised there isn't special dispensation for us Pay Monthlyers to obtain an iPhone. I was willing to part with £159 + £35 (an addition of £10 on my current tariff) for the pleasure.

Do we get official responses from O2 on here :robotindifferent:
Anonymous

I am in the same boat as you guys, this is very frustrating. Especially considering that I was able to upgrade to the iPhone 2G without any fees, in the middle of my contract because I had started my contract in the month before the iPhone was released. Now that the iPhone 3G has been released they seem to have revoked this option. I am very annoyed and have spent lots of time on the phone to O2 today.
Topics: 48
Kudos: 593
Solutions: 48

Can i ask which department you are all speaking to?

If you are speaking to the upgrades department there isnt anything you can do, but if you speak to the retention department there should be something you can do.

I beleive that If you agree to pay you old contract of, then you are allowed to have your phone number.

dial 202 and choose option 2 and then option 2 again.

Good Luck
Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Anonymous

Me too

I just made the same phone call, as was also amazed to hear I have no options! I'm out of contract next (April 09), and would be happy to upgrade now and pay more per month for an iphone.

It seems like a very strange and short-sighted business decision if you ask me. Surely keeping your loyal (8 years) current customers happy is important too. I would happily pay an "early upgrade" fee too. As it stands, O2 are missing out on at least £200 from me until next April.
Anonymous

I have an LG Viewty that I have had numerous problems with - including the touchscreen not working during a 4-month overseas trip, rendering the phone utterly useless... (of course, I had to keep paying o2 during this time). And despite this, o2 are not prepared even to discuss giving me an early upgrade (I have 5 months left on my current 18 month contract). I would happily have signed up for another 18 months, but instead they tell me that I have to change my number, and either take out a second 18-month contract or buy the iphone on PAYG. Have decided to wait, in the hope that the iphone will be offered on different networks by next spring. Even my other half has been so not permitted by o2's attitude over this, that he has decided to switch networks too.
Anonymous

New iPhone

So I went for the pay as you go option. I had to get a pay as you go sim card with ten pounds top up as well.

So now I have switched my contract to the iphone tariff but that doesn't come into affect until my billing date. So for the next two weeks I am running two phones. My old one for calls and texts and the iPhone with Pay as you go for data wifi and coolness.

I actually think that this has worked out better than any other option, including an early upgrade. I now have an iPhone on my current contract and I am not tied in for 18 months. When my contract ends I can go back to the Pay as You Go sim or continue my contract and get an upgrade when i feel like it.
Anonymous

So how much are you now paying a month? And how did you manage to get them to agree to changing your tariff? I asked about that, but was told that since I have 5 months left on my contract, my only options are to take out a second 18-month contract, or buy a PAYG phone and sim, both of which mean I need to change my number.
I am happy to pay 350 quid for a PAYG phone, but if I must keep paying for my current contract (30 pounds a month) I would at least like to keep the same number.

The staff in my local shop are spectacularly clueless though, so perhaps I have been misinformed.

One of my reasons for wanting the iphone is that I am unable to access an https:// website on my LG viewty that I use a lot. Rather naively, I tried asking the assistant manager in my local store if he knew of a way I might access the site in question.

o2: The problem you are describing can be fixed by updating the software on your phone online.
Me: Can you show me how to do that?
o2 (after 10 mins searching on his computer): It tooks like LG don't offer software updates
Me: so my problem CAN'T be fixed my updating the software as you said earlier?
o2: No, it can. You just need to update the software.
Me: But you said there are no software updates offered for this phone.
o2: Yes, that's correct.
Me: But if LG don't offer software updates, then surely I can't update the software as you are suggesting.
o2: Correct.
Is there any other way to resolve this problem?
o2: Not that I am aware of.
Me: AAAAARRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
Anonymous

I am payng the same as I was before which is £35. And in two weeks i will be on the iPhone tariff. Anyone can change their tariff over as far as i am aware by going here

https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?qid=29&q1=21

I did this yesterday and they quickly replied aproving the change and telling me that it would start on my next billing date.

I then purchased the iPhone today with £10 credit, so it was £359.99.

Now i am using the pay as you go number in the iPhone as it gives me unlimited data and wifi for 12 months, but when my contract is upgraded I will swap the sims over. (in two weeks). Until then I will be carrying around two phones.

I hope this helps, i can explain further if i am not making sense.

Oh and don't get me started on the customer services, I think they are trained to be unhelpful. The problem I have most regularly is them refusing to talk to me as i am not the account holder. The number of times I have been authorised is crazy! Oh and the other day i tried to make an insurance claim, i phoned up and eventually got through to C.S. and the lady authorised me, then i told her what i wanted and she is like sorry we need to speek to the account holder. So I said that I was authorised and she said you have to get her now as I can't do this with you, so I did, and then she told me that the insurance department wasn't open that late. So I used the web support and they confirmed that i was eligible and what phone i had and told me to ring insurance when they opened. So I call the insurance and they refuse to talk to me until i have spoken to C.S. and done a "warm transfer". I swear they try to make it impossible for you.