cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Early Upgrade Help?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Okay!
I currently have an iPhone 4 and I want to cancel my current contract and move to a Galaxy S 2 on the same number.
Speaking to O2 in the store yesterday, they told me this would be hard with the existing number. The process I had to follow would be...
1: Cancel and Pay off my account.
2: My number would then be transferred to a Pay and Go number
3: Order my new phone
4: Use the new phone for a few days
5: Go into the store and ask them to transfer my number onto my phone.
Speaking to O2 on the phone last night, they said...
1: Order the new phone
2: Call Retentions
3: They will cancel my current contract and then migrate my existing number to my new account.
Is this the right way or am I making a huge and expensive mistake? Because I really want the Galaxy S 2 with no fuss...
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Whatever happens you will have to pay the remaining months of your contract.
Message 2 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Would you not be able to buy an S2 and carry on with your contract? A tariff or bolt on change and replacement sim should be all you need.
Message 3 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Would you not be able to buy an S2 and carry on with your contract? A tariff or bolt on change and replacement sim should be all you need.

Im not paying £600 for a phone! Besides, I can get a good deal on the contract.
What im asking is if the methods I have described are the right ways to go about this?
Message 4 of 8

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3129 Posts
  • 28 Topics
  • 39 Solutions
It can't be a good deal if you have to pay up the remaining months of your current contract to get a new contract that has a "free" phone attached. Read the T&C's carefully as there is a section in all contracts stating that you must pay up the remaining months if you want to terminate the contract. Of course if you're within a few months of the contract ending that may work out cheaper.
Otherwise once you get over that lump sum payment the process is valid but I believe there may be a 30 day period before you can migrate back after transfer.
Besides, you're missing the obvious: sell the iphone 4 and use the proceeds to buy a sim free S2. If required get o2 to change the iphone tariff to a smartphone tariff. Less hassle and a lot cheaper.
Message 5 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Erf...
I KNOW that I have to pay my remaining Contract
I KNOW that I can sell the iPhone, but I dont want a Sim Free S2
I KNOW that I'm not getting a "free phone". I am however getting it discounted!
I am not here to be judged and questioned over my purchasing habits and methods, I just want clarification that I have been given the right information from O2!
Message 6 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well, pardon us for offering suggestions you might not have considered. Who is judging? :womanindifferent:
I was under the impression that you cannot migrate a number with an early cancellation, but as I don't work for O2 cannot say whether you have been told correctly or not. It might be worth calling them and asking that specific question.
Message 7 of 8

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3129 Posts
  • 28 Topics
  • 39 Solutions
Well it is up to you how you go about making the deal. If you've done the maths then its up to you decide on if its a mistake or not. Going back to your first post, it was you who brought it up and asked for advice on the costs.
Message 8 of 8