Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Early Termination Fee

TristanHamilton
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello all, I'm just checking to see if anyone has any advice on what I can do, if anything at all regarding this matter.

A few months back I went into my local 02 store and agreed to upgrade my contract early. However, due to the fact I had some things to sort out on the old phone first, we decided to set up a new contract and then cancel the old contract once I was done. Never at any point during this process was I told that I would be required to pay a early termination fee since I wasn't leaving, but upgrading (in an unconventional way). I was however told that when I cancelled the contract, I would have to pay off the rest of my airtime bill for what has been used. In the phone call when I cancelled the old phone, still nothing was said about an early termination fee, rather that some credit would be given back towards the final airtime bill. 

Suddenly today I've received an email to say that I have an overdue bill which I'd never been made aware of until it was overdue. I've gone over to the website to find it since there is no record of it on the app and there's no option to pay it.

My question regarding this whole situation is, given the circumstances surrounding the whole unconventional upgrade, would 02 be able to wipe the fee for me or is there another way around it? Or, am I going to have to give in and fall foul to the system? I figured I'd check here before storming into my local branch.

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 14
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
It's a different answer now you've said the device was paid for. All you should be paying is for any months of airtime since the device was paid off.
How much do they say you owe?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Unfortunately, any contract that ends early, either by straight termination or upgrade, has to be paid off, either by the full contractual amount for standard tariffs or by fully paying the device plan on a refresh contract.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Basically you need to pay the bill as technically you have 2 contracts running & the one you don't want needs to be officially cancelled & closed

Message 3 of 14

jonsie
  • 92910 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Unfortunately,  as the guys have explained,you need to pay off the bill. You need to do it quickly too before it gets passed to a collection agency and you end up with a default on your credit file. That would remain there for 6 years and adversely effect any future mortgage or any form of credit agreement. It's a poor show from the various people you spoke to that this wasn't explained in full to you. More interested in commission rather than your personal situation.

Message 4 of 14

TristanHamilton
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for the replies. The device plan was fully paid off upon cancelling the refresh contract. To say I'm angered by this surprise fee is an understatement, especially considering I was lead to believe there was no fee when they specifically said I would ONLY have to pay what I'd used of last months airtime bill, with credit back for the last few days before the next bill was due to arrive. Add to the fact there was no warning or acknowledgement of said fee until it was overdue, I'll be sure to never use 02 again after this current contract cycle. 

It's a shame as I've always sworn blind by 02. They've been a great comany for the years I've been with them. 

I guess now I have to chase up a way to actually pay this fee, since there is no option to online and no record of it on the app. 

Message 5 of 14

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
It's a different answer now you've said the device was paid for. All you should be paying is for any months of airtime since the device was paid off.
How much do they say you owe?

Currently using:
Message 6 of 14

TristanHamilton
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

The amount owed was £46. I've just been on the phone with 02 and it turned out to be an error in the cancellation process. They've credited my account with the amount owed so I wont be charged when the money is taken. I'm glad there wasn't any option to pay it as I'd accepted I'd have to pay it and had phoned to find out how to pay, while finding out if it definitely needed to be paid.

In a stroke of irony, the song when I was on hold was "John Newman - Love Me Again". I accept your plea 02 and will love you again.

Thank you to everyone who replied. I'm glad that's all out the way now so I can forget about it.

- Tristan.

Message 7 of 14

jonsie
  • 92910 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Once the device is paid for you only need to give 30 days notice to end the contract. I guess you cancelled the direct debit too. Now you need to call them and sort out the bill and try to argue your case about any extra than one month's bill unless that is all you owe them.

Message 8 of 14

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Glad that's all cleared up for you now slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 9 of 14

jonsie
  • 92910 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

That's good news but keep your eye on My O2 to make sure they keep their promise.

Message 10 of 14