cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EU roaming WARNING Cyprus

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi
Im holidaying in Cyprus (Protaras) but have apparently auto connected to a turkish network where O2 have applied charges as Turkey outside their EU zone. I thought being in Cyprus, my allowances would apply. Apparently its because im near the national border with turkey (i suggested to the online chat that a map of the med would be useful for her) which is clearly not true. Although i guess the political issues between turkish cypriots and greek cypriots may be the cause. Anyone else had this issue?? I also cant find any warning on 02 website. Be careful
Message 1 of 13
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Many customers have this issue when they are near a border. Your phone will automatically connect to the strongest signal if your network settings are set to Auto. We always advise to change to manual selection to ensure you stay connected to a Cypriot network. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

jonsie
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Many customers have this issue when they are near a border. Your phone will automatically connect to the strongest signal if your network settings are set to Auto. We always advise to change to manual selection to ensure you stay connected to a Cypriot network. 

Message 2 of 13

MI5
  • 143418 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
There is a warning from o2 at bottom of their international pages.
Type in the country you are visiting here
http://international.o2.co.uk/internationaltariffs/travelling_abroad
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks but why did i not get a 'welcome to turkey' message warning me of the switch. I got one welcoming me to cyprus. Ive picked this up with O2. Interestingly enough im writing the as ive just had a txt with the 'welcome to turkey' @ 21.13. Roaming now off
Message 4 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Do you know who is O2's roaming partner in Cyprus?? Is it MTN?? Cheers
Message 5 of 13

MI5
  • 143418 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
You can use any of the Cypriot networks.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 13

jonsie
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Still doesnt explain why i did not get a 'welcome to turkey' roaming message as i switched networks....this would have clearly been a flag for me. Its a bizzarre situation as the EU does not recognise the so called turkish bit of cyprus so i think O2 should be explicit and warn customers that they cover only cypriot networks and the island has a turkish provider so will be charged if used. Without the roaming message im sure lots of people will get stung by this. Fully accept the general note about borders but geographically cyprus is cyprus and not particularly close to turkey. Politics are another story! Whats the damage in O2 having clearly communicating this to customers by exception(again unless im missing something)!. Lets see what O2 have to say following their investigation!
Message 8 of 13

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
i think O2 should be explicit and warn customers that they cover only cypriot networks and the island has a turkish provider so will be charged if used.

But they would lose the opportunity to charge you more !!.......that doesn't make good business sense Confused....:smileywink: 

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 9 of 13

jonsie
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Most people aren't aware of this issue though it's been highlighted in the media many times. In fact there was a case on Watchdog a couple of weeks ago.

But yes I agree, O2 should do more to advise or warn customers. How about a simple addition to the initial welcome text advising manual network selection, not difficult to implement surely? 

Message 10 of 13