cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EU roaming WARNING Cyprus

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi
Im holidaying in Cyprus (Protaras) but have apparently auto connected to a turkish network where O2 have applied charges as Turkey outside their EU zone. I thought being in Cyprus, my allowances would apply. Apparently its because im near the national border with turkey (i suggested to the online chat that a map of the med would be useful for her) which is clearly not true. Although i guess the political issues between turkish cypriots and greek cypriots may be the cause. Anyone else had this issue?? I also cant find any warning on 02 website. Be careful
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Natasha_B
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have been stung for an additional £70-80 of charges for two items, I was unaware of this cross boarder connecting issue and thought I was covered for my calls, text and data after receiving the welcome to Cyprus message. If I had known I'd have kept the phone turned off. My technical know how doesn't extend as far as editing advance network setting.

I feel like I've been mugged. I'm kind of out of work at the moment (being on a zero hour contract, I have had almost no work since Christmas, I didn't get paid for the care work I did in south Cyprus either) and now my bank account will be overdraw tomorrow as I've only just flown back and it is too late put any money in to cover it (don't you love bank holiday weekends). Thanks O2, I'm going to be in a right mess now. One sentence would have prevented this mess. I feel like swapping my provider at the opportunity.

@MI5Thank you MI5, without the above link I would never have figured out why two concurrent monthly bill are more than double for sake of two south cypress calls.

@jonsieAgreed. If there was just sentence that mentioning the issue in the welcome to cypress text message we would all know and could take steps to protect ourselves from excessive charges.

Message 11 of 13

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143425 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

Give customer services a call tomorrow @Natasha_B and see if they will offer you a goodwill credit to help with the costs.

You can also make a complaint to highlght the fact that you weren't notified of the costs by roaming onto a Turkish network.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 13

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Hope you get to speak to a sympathetic adviser @Natasha_B and get something back for this. Too late for the bank charges unfortunately but if you have difficulty paying O2 or the bank charges it's best to give them a call.

Message 13 of 13