cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Due upgrade but don't want to up price

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, I am on the simplicity tariff and pay £16.50 month. My upgrade is now due and I would like a new phone only problem is I need to up my monthly fee to do this. I never reach my current limits so I don't want to up my tariff. Is there a way I can get an discount on a new phone instead? I have been with O2 for about 12 years so I should have some loyalty. Thanks

Message 1 of 14
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

version7point0
Level 33: Firestarter
  • 648 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 181 Solutions

Seeing both sides of the fence over the years and for more than one network, I think I can safely say "loyalty" never truely existed.

Back in the day when subscriber numbers were the key to being top dog, it was always in a networks best interest to keep you with them just so they could boast better total customer numbers.

As the market evolved and every man, woman, child and their dog had a mobile things turned to be more profit driven, i.e you can have loyalty so long as you are giving us enough money over the 12/18/24/36 months to make us think this will continue to bring in the cash.

These days: from a customer point of view, yes we want the best price, we want the best phone as cheap as we can get it and not much else will tempt us over.

Networks and indeed manufacturers too want to tempt you with extra features and services: Apple do it with their music / app / accessory ecosystem. Networks do things like buy one get one free cinema tickets, leasing phones for quicker upgrades and high street discounts which give a greater sense of loyalty in some eyes.

I digress massively: if you want to keep the best deal, retain your SIM only deal and buy your phone outright, you never know, one day networks may finally stop subsidising phones and we will all have to pay a premium / full price to get these shiny half a grand pieces of kit anyway.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22942 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions
Sorry to say that loyalty counts for nothing these days. New customers get the same as those who have been with O2 for years. Your best bet is to buy whatever phone you're looking for sim free and keep the tariff you're on.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi, I am on the simplicity tariff and pay £16.50 month. My upgrade is now due and I would like a new phone only problem is I need to up my monthly fee to do this. I never reach my current limits so I don't want to up my tariff. Is there a way I can get an discount on a new phone instead? I have been with O2 for about 12 years so I should have some loyalty. Thanks

You want a new phone, but don't want to have to pay anything to get it.  Oh, and keep the same monthly fee that you're on.....

Would you also like a free ferrari, fanned and fed grapes, and this week's winning lottery ticket too?

Message 3 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll settle for just the winning lottery ticket, thank you.

Can't comment on the Simplicity deals, but O2 on contract are the same deals for new or existing customers. Only way I got a better deal was getting a new contract with O2, but through Carphone Warehouse. O2 wanted cash for the phone, Carphone Warehouse gave the phone for free. Same tarrif deal and same monthly cost.

Message 4 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
Bingo! New/Existing...they're all just customers. And they're all entitled to get the best deal possible, no?

Why do people think its fair to stitch up new customers by giving existing ones the best deals? And why do they think its fair that O2 discriminates for their own benefit?

Truth is O2 have to treat everyone fairly and equally.
Message 5 of 14

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Completely agree.

However I do miss the vip tickets I used to get being a platinum member haha.

To the op how much extra are we talking? Surely there's a phone/tariff that meets your needs? If your just after the latest/greatest phone you'll obviously get stuck with upgrading to a higher tariff. Unless you can buy the phone outright?
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 6 of 14

version7point0
Level 33: Firestarter
  • 648 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 181 Solutions

Seeing both sides of the fence over the years and for more than one network, I think I can safely say "loyalty" never truely existed.

Back in the day when subscriber numbers were the key to being top dog, it was always in a networks best interest to keep you with them just so they could boast better total customer numbers.

As the market evolved and every man, woman, child and their dog had a mobile things turned to be more profit driven, i.e you can have loyalty so long as you are giving us enough money over the 12/18/24/36 months to make us think this will continue to bring in the cash.

These days: from a customer point of view, yes we want the best price, we want the best phone as cheap as we can get it and not much else will tempt us over.

Networks and indeed manufacturers too want to tempt you with extra features and services: Apple do it with their music / app / accessory ecosystem. Networks do things like buy one get one free cinema tickets, leasing phones for quicker upgrades and high street discounts which give a greater sense of loyalty in some eyes.

I digress massively: if you want to keep the best deal, retain your SIM only deal and buy your phone outright, you never know, one day networks may finally stop subsidising phones and we will all have to pay a premium / full price to get these shiny half a grand pieces of kit anyway.

Message 7 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You want a new phone, but don't want to have to pay anything to get it.  Oh, and keep the same monthly fee that you're on.....

Would you also like a free ferrari, fanned and fed grapes, and this week's winning lottery ticket too?

no need to be quite disrespectful,  not everyone knows that there are no loyalty perks anymore

Message 8 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you Stuart. If ppl read my original post you will read that I said I wanted to know if they'll give me some discount off a phone NOT be given a new phone for nothing. As on the upgrade page u can choose to get between £100-150 cashback for your bill and wondered if i could instead get a little discount off a phone instead. I don't ever go over my tariff limits or even reach them so I will begrudge paying extra for my contract. I came on here to see if someone could help. I didn't need my head bitten off! I may just buy a sim free phone as suggested then stay on my original simplicity. I'd save money in the long run.
Message 9 of 14

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
I may just buy a sim free phone as suggested then stay on my original simplicity. I'd save money in the long run.

That would be the best option if you can lay out the lump sum upfront. I wouldn't give up my unlimited data to go onto a new tariff:smileywink:

Message 10 of 14