cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Due an upgrade from standard mobile and fancy a smartphone but which one?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Due to upgrade and confused between android, windows etc etc. A bit lost with all the jargon. Any advice would be great!

Message 1 of 12
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd agree with pablo on the way he has described the operating systems and again with sheepdog advising to trial the phone in a store and see how you get on.

just remember most contracts now are 24mths giving you a better monthly rate and allocation. If you start to look at 24mth contracts then remember you may need to take something you can feel you can 'grow' into.

With this in mind and remember i dont know your budget or your allocations needed, you can pick up at £27 the Sony Xperia T foc which is quite reasonable

hope it helps

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

iOS (iPhone) - very easy to use, not very customisable

Android (Various phones) - reasonably easy to use, very customisable

Windows (Various phones) - not as fully featured as the other two operating systems, not very customisable either.

My advice would be to go for a basic smartphone first time around - something like a samsung galaxy ace or galaxy s3 mini which is a very good introductory handset until you get used to smartphones.  Maybe go for a 12month deal then next time around get a bigger/better handset like an iPhone/Samsung Galaxy S3 etc.

Message 2 of 12

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

You missed the unobvious choice of the BB Z10.

I have an Nexus 4 and coming from a WinMob 6.1 and BB9000 its been frustrating. More so having a Playbook and the darn Nexus 4 won't swipe toturn the screen on. Apparently I have to press the power button.....slight digression there but my point is that you really do need to go into the shops and play with each operating system to see what you feel happy with long term. Then step back for a couple of days then go in again to play again as you'll then discover which one is easier to manage.

Personally speaking, the Android experience isn't as good as its made out to be though evernote & google drive are great apps.

Message 3 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd agree with pablo on the way he has described the operating systems and again with sheepdog advising to trial the phone in a store and see how you get on.

just remember most contracts now are 24mths giving you a better monthly rate and allocation. If you start to look at 24mth contracts then remember you may need to take something you can feel you can 'grow' into.

With this in mind and remember i dont know your budget or your allocations needed, you can pick up at £27 the Sony Xperia T foc which is quite reasonable

hope it helps

Message 4 of 12

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
Android all the way slight_smile (OK, so I am biased) but the Galaxy S3 Mini is a great starter phone. Personally I'd give the Ace a miss as it's "old" now. Once you are into Android it is extremely easy to use, customise and apps are mainly free and varied....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks guys for the info. Very helpful!
Message 6 of 12

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Let us know what you decide to go with Helen. slight_smile

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 7 of 12

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

Good luck, a new phone is always a difficult choice with so many variants out there.:smileyhappy:

Message 8 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've gone for Nokia Lumia 620! I've always had Nokia standard phones, except for one Motorola (which I hated), so I decided to stick with them. Hopefully I'll be able to navigate it, although my family are a bit doubtful! slight_smile
Message 9 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

620 is a good mid range handset. 

it has plenty of flexibility and with the windows operating system very easy to customise.

if you have any issues with the phone id recommend calling your local o2 store and speak to a Guru or if you go to http://www.youtube.com/user/O2GuruTV see if that can help

good luck with it

Message 10 of 12