cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dreadful service in Lancaster, Lancashire

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all 

i am so mad, I am a lonof time customer of O2' over 5 years , I live in Lancaster Lancashire and for over 10 days now the service has been appalling, signal dropping out, no service , searching for signal, phone disconnecting as and when i manage to get signal, sometimes no signal for hours, no texts being delivered, incoming calls going straight to voicemail. I have called O2 so many times, been on live chat 4 times, only to be told itching can be done and its my handset ( iPhone 4S) . And then I check the live coverage and find out a mast is down. And it's still down and has been now for well over a week. And no sign of it getting better, no information about when a fix is thought to be due. One advisor told me two days ago that signal in my area was great, I had to ask her to check the mast site, only for told say oh yes you are write that was a typo your mast is down !!!

Not only is my personal O2 phone down but it is also affecting my business mobile. No offer of help, no offer of compensation, no idea when service will be restored. I pay over £50 a month for my personal tariff, can't not believe how shabby the O2 service has become. 

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Unfortunatly some masts are on private land and O2 need permission before they can begin work.

Any idea where your mast is located?

Unfortunatly no service is perfect, they cannot guarentee signal all the time. Why don't you set up call forwarding to a landline for buisness use?

Every buisness should have back ups.
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 2 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
There are so many things that can affect how long mast outages take to fix.

Access - we don't always own the land our masts are on (same with most networks). We have to arrange access with landowners. sometimes disputes arise and we have to totally decommision a mast because we're not allowed access to the land one is situated on. If that happens a new one needs to be built which can't happen overnight (land purchase, planning access, building etc).

2) Health and Safety. We can only work on masts during daylight hours and weather conditions safe enough to work in.

3) Is it an easy fix (cabling) or do parts have to be replaced. If parts replacements are required then it can delay repairs as some parts are so bespoke they have to be ordered as an when they are needed and then transported to the mast site.

With that in mind its always hard to say how long a repair will take. If you feel you're not being told how long it will be because we don't know either.

We outsource this kind of thing to engineering companies so we're not always in control of how long things take. Same with most of the other networks.
Message 3 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had exactly the same runaround from O2 today. Im in LA2 0PN South Lancaster and three O2 phones are unusable despite being excellent for years.

O2 advisors repeatedly insist that the network is fine and it must be the phone, sim etc.  They're not able to explain why all three phones are fine out of this immediate area just persistently saying that the network is fine when it clearly isn't.

I'm going to have to cancel three O2 accounts if this isn't sorted and since I work as an IT consultant I'll be cancelling a few more O2 accounts as well because I'll be damned if I going to accept this level of service.

it isn't that the call quality is compromised - it is absolutely impossible for anybody to hear anything that I say on any of the three phones.

The advisors clearly don't have any information about the state of the masts. Who do I speak to to find out what's going on?

Message 4 of 19

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

my advise is to work through this list as you say it looks like cell issue. http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Self-help-guide-Is-the-network-down-for-me-or-ev...

Depending on handset in use, you can try the my network app and use that to report the fault  apart from that only customer services can deal with the issue

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 5 of 19

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22939 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

A temporary loss of signal is not reason enough to cancel an account. No network will guarantee 100% uptime. If you don't go through the process as adam has laid out in his link, and cancel, it will affect your credit rating and you won't be able to get an account with any network. 

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 6 of 19

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I've had exactly the same runaround from O2 today. Im in LA2 0PN South Lancaster and three O2 phones are unusable despite being excellent for years.

Have you tried switching the phones to 2G only as the 3G signal isn't good in your area?

http://status.o2.co.uk/

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 7 of 19

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Looks like there was planned maintenance

Live results for LA2 0PN, Lancaster, Lancs

• Our network is currently working fine
    We've been working on phone masts in this area in the past 24 hours. Sorry if you couldn't use your phone.
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 8 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't consider 10 days to be 'temporary' and it's not just the loss of service but also the lack of information and transparency about the status of the network.

If I were to tell my customers that I didn't know how long it would take to fix their server, that it could be hours, days or weeks then I wouldn't have customers for very long.

For many of us the telecoms services are nearly as essential as the other services.  How long would you be prepared to go without water, sewage or power?

Message 9 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, I'll try that but the service here has been excellent for years.

Message 10 of 19