Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't understand how to do data sharing

2DividedByZero
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have three phones on my account - mine and each of my children's phones. All of them state on the account page that they are able to share data. However, I can't find a way to get them to do this. Occasionally mine uses all its data allowance and I always have to buy a bolt on as I can't get the data from my children's phones to transfer. I have read the page on this on the O2 website and I also just tried an online chat about it, but the guy I spoke to just said that you have to use Personal Hotspot. So I asked if this meant I always had to be near one of my children's phones to share the data and he said yes. That doesn't sound like what I was expecting - I though wherever my children's phones are the data could be shared with me? Or have I completely misunderstood the concept? Thanks for any help you can give.

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144066 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
Just because the tariffs "can" share data, doesn't mean you are able to.
What it is saying is that you can set up a shared data network between your 3 phones.
You need to nominate one as the lead device, then add the other 2 by upgrading their tariffs.
https://www.o2.co.uk/sharer-plans
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144066 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
Just because the tariffs "can" share data, doesn't mean you are able to.
What it is saying is that you can set up a shared data network between your 3 phones.
You need to nominate one as the lead device, then add the other 2 by upgrading their tariffs.
https://www.o2.co.uk/sharer-plans
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 7

2DividedByZero
  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

It says on my account though that all three devices 'have data and are able to share'. So I'm seeing that as not only that they 'can', but they are already 'able'. It shows are picture of them all together. I can't see a way of nominating one as the lead. I wonder why the O2 guy on the chat didn't offer to do this, if it needs doing.

Message 3 of 7

MI5
  • 144066 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
Yes, "able" to but not yet set up to.
As I've said, you need to upgrade the accounts to share off the lead device. Details are in the link but call customer service on 202 or go in store to do - live chat don't know what day it is half the time.........

Currently using:
Message 4 of 7

2DividedByZero
  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks - will go into my local store and see if I can speak to a an O2 person face to face - might be easier! If only there was a way on the account that one could just click to change it to the sharing rather than having to contact them. Maybe they do this to make sharing harder so people give up and just buy bolt-ons, like me! I appreciate your time in replying - thank you!

Message 5 of 7

MI5
  • 144066 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
You need to speak to them because of the account changes required and because nothing is ever easy with O2 wink

Currently using:
Message 6 of 7

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi @2DividedByZero, it would be great to hear how you're getting on with this and if you managed to get the data sharing to work in the end?

Cheers for troubleshooting @MI5! slight_smile

Message 7 of 7