cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does it make sense for my mother to switch to a Smart Phone

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

My mother understandably feels she ought to keep up with technology and has asked me to buy her a smartphone for her Birthday. However, she only wants to make calls and receive texts, so my first question is: is there any point in switching to a smartphone? Secondly, if there is a point in her switching to a smartphone is there a way for her to truly pay-as-you-go?  She currently buys a £10 top-up every couple of months but I notice the pay and go tariffs are a monthly commitment.

Many thanks for any advice offered!

Rosalind

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143406 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
No point at all if she is only going to call and text and if she did venture into using internet she would need to top up every month to get a data allowance anyway, but yes, there are true PAYG options but will be expensive for a smartphone at full potential.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank-you! When you say "expensive for a smartphone at full potential", presumably she wouldn't be using it at anywhere near it's full potential so wouldn't get through the credit as quickly as if she were browsing, downloading etc?
Message 3 of 7

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

My sons dragged me kicking and screaming into the smartphone world 3 years ago . Like your mum I only ever used a phone for calling and texting and was payg.

Hey....a year after I had my first cheap smartphone, I got quite excited by it's potential and upgraded to a Samsung S3 on contract. I now have a Note 3. I am still a technophobe and certainly don't use my Note 3 to its full potential but by golly I have come a long way in 3 years..... I love the phone and am amazed at everything I can do with it. If your Mum wants to get into the smartphone world...and she is keen to learn.... then personally I would tell her to go for it. If you are buying the phone outright then there are some good sim only deals to be had... #just saying....Happy Dance

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 7

MI5
  • 143406 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Browsing and downloading though, is, the point of a smartphone.
If you're not doing it there's no need for it.
She could get by on £10 a month though - it all depends on how much she uses it and she will need to learn to use wifi where possible and to turn data on and off as required to save wasting the data allowance.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 7

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I am in no way aguing with you @MI5...I am just making the point that if the OP's Mum is anything like me, she would learn and enjoy the challenge of a smartphone. When I got mine I had absolutely NO intention of using it for the internet....I had a laptop for that.....and now look at me. .... No pretensions of being expert at all...but I am damn glad I took the leap....:smileywink:

(And look at all the questions I have asked you over the last 3 years....kept you busy at least) LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 7

MI5
  • 143406 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I wouldn't deny anyone the chance of learning.
I bought my 80 yr old Dad a tablet for Christmas and he loves it, but, if you are only using a phone for calls and texts, there is no point in a smartphone.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 7