cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does O2 monitor our calls and texts for marketing?

owenb
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Today I passed my driving test. Literally two hours later, after texting and calling a few people to let them know, O2 emailed me an offer for car insurance.

I have never been offered this before, or any other car-related service from O2.

I am deeply suspicious. Is O2 monitoring the content of our calls and texts for marketing or is this just the biggest coincidence ever?

Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143188 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions

@owenb 

Congratulations on passing slight_smile

It's just a coincidence as it is illegal to moniter calls and texts without a court order.

You can change your marketing preferences in your MyO2 if you don't wish to receive communications like this from O2 or 3rd party companies.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

MI5
  • 143188 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions

@owenb 

Congratulations on passing slight_smile

It's just a coincidence as it is illegal to moniter calls and texts without a court order.

You can change your marketing preferences in your MyO2 if you don't wish to receive communications like this from O2 or 3rd party companies.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 4

jonsie
  • 92812 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6909 Solutions

That's taking coincidence a little too far in my opinion. I wonder if this has happened to anyone else. But yes, change your preferences in My O2.

Message 3 of 4

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35052 Posts
  • 222 Topics
  • 1557 Solutions

More likely to have come from 2 angles:

You e-mailed or face booked your news to someone, or

Details were harvested from your browser cookies where you accessed the on-line Driver Licensing site. 

As pointed out above, harvesting from your SMS and tapping your phone are strictly forbidden, much red tape for this to happen. 

Message 4 of 4