cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does 4G give better call quality?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, this may be a stupid question, but I'm going to ask it anyway wink

I know 4G is all about better data speeds, but do you get better call quality on a 4G connection, or does it not make any difference?

Indoors, my call quality isn't very good as my signal bounces between 2G and 3G as I'm on the edge of a 3G enabled area.  I'm right in the middle of a 4G area though, so was just wondering if that would make any difference to call quality.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow, I hope that comes to the UK pretty soon.

Message 11 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well you wouldn't get any increase in voice quality when calling most other people, as the quality depends on what both sides of a call can deliver... if you're talking with another VoLTE subscriber, then yes, quality *should* be improved (depending on which codec O2's VoLTE will work with), but if you're calling someone who's still on regular 2G/3G or a landline, quality will be what it is today.

Message 12 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well I like many other people believed or shoukd I say got miss sold 4g. As far as im aware ee will have it first but. Here is the downside. At the moment voLTE seems to only work if you have a pho e with voLTE please the person you are calling needs to have the same. You also have to be on the same network if not the same mast. Its not something to get excited about just yet. Maybe in 2 or 3 years. I also know that they have some disconnection issues when moving between masts. The best thing woukd for the phine companies to invest in more masts and cover a more true area than the online maps show. This is not just o2 that say they cover more than they do. Each network seems to over exaggerate there network coverage.
Message 13 of 17

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144338 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
VoLTE is not active anywhere in the UK on any network yet.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 14 of 17

iar1980
  • 127 Posts
  • 10 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

As far as i'm aware they are only in the test stage. Vodafone are testing it in the UK, and o2 (telefonica) are testing it in Germany. I think the same is happening with LTE-A (4.5G)

Current Phones: iPhone XS Max
Previous Phones: Samsung Galaxy Note 9, Pixel 2 XL, iPhone 7, HTC 10, HTC One (M8), HTC One (M7), iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 5s, HTC One A9, HTC Desire HD, Lumia 640 XL, Nokia 5800 XpressMusic
Message 15 of 17

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144338 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
I've had my suspicions that O2 were testing it but not seen anything to confirm it anywhere yet....?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 16 of 17

iar1980
Level 6: Acolyte
  • 127 Posts
  • 10 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

http://www.4g.co.uk/4g-news/news-features/4g-2015-will-next-year-4g-bring_300111075.html

Current Phones: iPhone XS Max
Previous Phones: Samsung Galaxy Note 9, Pixel 2 XL, iPhone 7, HTC 10, HTC One (M8), HTC One (M7), iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 5s, HTC One A9, HTC Desire HD, Lumia 640 XL, Nokia 5800 XpressMusic
Message 17 of 17