Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Highlighted
Anonymous

Do you incur a penalty for paying up your contract early?

I need to change network badly. I've had nothing but trouble with o2 since my latest upgrade. Got a HTC desire. First was faulty, so replaced it after 6 days. 9 days later, same problems. Took it back and was told that the store couldn't do anything, it was down to HTC with a 2 week turnaround repair time and no loan phone in the meantime. A week later I tried to ring cs, to be told that since I was within a 14 day period some they don't count the faulty time I could have replaced it or changed model. I was livid. So the lies annoyed me.
Then I asked for a data bar since it never worked, and was charged an obscene amount, despite having the facility taken off of the account which was laughable. Other problems started, so I just gave up and used my old phone. Sadly, my old one died, so I returned to the desire. What a mistake.
It's a terrible, slow phone despite numerous factory resets. Today, for no reason it decided to delete every single text on it at random, even ones marked as saved. It reboot when I try to multitask, for example mp3 and internet makes it reboot.
I have 9 months on the contract, the phone and company have been quite frankly useless throughout. What are my options? Thanks. Finally wrote this after 4 reboots. Finally Smiley Wink
Highlighted
Topics: 247
Solutions: 1,614

Re: Do you incur a penalty for paying up your contract early

No you can pay 9 x monthly fee, and you're off, give O2 a ring and they'll arrange it for you.
You could use any other handset to complete the contract if it suits better.
Alternatively get a cheap phone and return the Desire to HTC for repair.
To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Highlighted
Anonymous

why pay 9 months line rental up front and not get use of the 9 months of mins and texts, when you can still keep it going and just pay it month by month and you still have mins and texts if you really need to use it.
the only downside would be, the number would be stuck with o2 until you cancel.
very drastic wanting to cancel 9 months early.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Well, the main reason being money I suppose. Why pay for a service, with a terrible company, when due to work I can get a better offer on a better network. I am guaranteed a free top end handset, as well as a minimum of 25% off of line rental due to the company I work for.
Not to mention that the service o2 have provided these past months has been truly awful. Poor internet, dropped calls despite having reception, my house cannot achieve more than an E connection despite the map saying I should receive H, the fact they have lied throughout this contract etc etc
I would just like to wash my hands of the company, save myself some money, and not feel ripped off by poor standards.
If I was to lower my tariff, would that also lower the final amount I would be required to pay?
Highlighted

From previous posts, I read that lowering the tariff only applies if you stay with it, ie no discount if you leave, unless anyone knows better than that.
To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Highlighted
Anonymous

From previous posts, I read that lowering the tariff only applies if you stay with it, ie no discount if you leave, unless anyone knows better than that.

if you lower your tariff, you can still leave and pay x9 months £££ of that new lower tariff.
Highlighted

if you lower your tariff, you can still leave and pay x9 months £££ of that new lower tariff.

Is that in the terms and conditions?

Highlighted
Anonymous

its in your terms and cons you can lower your tariff once half way through your contract, to the next tariff down.
for example...
£26.00 per month down to £21.00 per month.
so instead of paying x9 £26.00, you pay x9 of £21.00. this is fact.
Highlighted
Anonymous

It may not be in the T&C's as o2 don't encourage folk to pay off their contract (and AFAIK that decision is at their discretion).
However it makes sense that if you lower you tariff and stay with it, then you pay the lower amount per month for 9 months. So if you want to pay those up front (and are allowed to) it should not cost you any more than if you saw your contract out over the agreed term.
SV