cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Direct debit set up without my knowlege!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all,

Thought I should let you all know, when I upgraded my phone, o2 set up a direct debit without telling me!

I have always paid via card after being billed for calls I didn't make by One2one (tmobile) some 15years ago.

I just called o2 to actully set up a direct debit as I thought it was about time I trusted a mobile company again, only to be told that one was set up when I upgraded to a refresh tariff.

So all's well that ends well, however I do feel like this should have at least been mentioned when I upgraded in store.
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
It should have been part of the set up conversation with you regarding the tariff/ phone and account.

Sometimes in the excitement of getting a new phone some of the set up info is not digested. (Not that I'm suggesting that is the case with you.)

Enjoy your new phone. slight_smile

Message 11 of 17

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 12 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well assuming not everything was mentioned on the day  u got the phone, are u aware that you will have 2 separate DDs, one for the airtime and another for the phone?

Message 13 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, I was aware of that. To be honest Having to make two payments instead of one is what prompted me to call O2 to set one up which is when I got told there was one already.

@bandofbrothers, the sales guy didn't really say much. Just asked if I knew which tariff I wanted, which I did, and do you have your bank card? And then sign here, here, here & here. Right that's it your all done, enjoy your phone!

The whole thing took around 6-7 minutes!
Message 14 of 17

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143426 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
the sales guy didn't really say much. Just asked if I knew which tariff I wanted, which I did, and do you have your bank card? And then sign here, here, here & here. Right that's it your all done, enjoy your phone!

The whole thing took around 6-7 minutes!

So you didn't actually read what you were signing or ask any questions....?

I know you are unlikely to get ripped off in this kind of situation but you really should check....

I was watching something on TV this week where there were reporters on the street handing out free tea and coffee (T&C's apply). People had to sign a form to get a free drink, but they were signing up and agreeing to hand over their car keys, run naked down the street and all sorts - None of them read what they were signing up to, which is very worrying.....

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 15 of 17

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

The other aspect to this,if you didn't realise what was happening, is that the card that you handed over as ID may not have been for the account that you wanted the DD assigned to.

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 16 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Beenherebefore: "The other aspect to this,if you didn't realise what was happening, is that the card that you handed over as ID may not have been for the account that you wanted the DD assigned to."

That is the ONLY point of this whole thread. Yes it was in the T&Cs, yes I should have carefully read all the small print, but that's missing the point of why I started the thread.
Message 17 of 17