cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Direct debit set up without my knowlege!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all,

Thought I should let you all know, when I upgraded my phone, o2 set up a direct debit without telling me!

I have always paid via card after being billed for calls I didn't make by One2one (tmobile) some 15years ago.

I just called o2 to actully set up a direct debit as I thought it was about time I trusted a mobile company again, only to be told that one was set up when I upgraded to a refresh tariff.

So all's well that ends well, however I do feel like this should have at least been mentioned when I upgraded in store.
Message 1 of 17
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Immx,

In all fairness they have your details because you gave them and most important, it's part of the O2  Refresh terms and conditions that you have a DD setup, so it's all in your contract. Hope this clarifies it for you wink

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Immx,

In all fairness they have your details because you gave them and most important, it's part of the O2  Refresh terms and conditions that you have a DD setup, so it's all in your contract. Hope this clarifies it for you wink

Message 2 of 17

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122363 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi all,

Thought I should let you all know, when I upgraded my phone, o2 set up a direct debit without telling me!

I have always paid via card after being billed for calls I didn't make by One2one (tmobile) some 15years ago.

I just called o2 to actully set up a direct debit as I thought it was about time I trusted a mobile company again, only to be told that one was set up when I upgraded to a refresh tariff.

So all's well that ends well, however I do feel like this should have at least been mentioned when I upgraded in store.

They must have had your bank details somewhere in the system to set this up?

When you phoned them did you ask CS how this had been actioned without your knowledge...i thought it was something that was done on a refresh tariff...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

It is part of the terms and conditions of a contract from O2 that a direct debit is set up.

When one fails for whatever reason as O2 do want paying they do currently allow other methods.

We hear so many stories of bills not being paid manually on time resulting in blocked accounts and sometimes worse - a default on a credit file that lasts 6 years it is best practice to have a Direct Debit Set up as the primary method of payment.
Message 4 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
You are all correct, it is clearly in the T&Cs and yes, the guy in store took my debit card, I assumed for ID, so probably took my account details off that. I did want to set up a DD, my only gripe is that the guy in store could have at least said, "I'm setting up a DD for you" that's all.
Message 5 of 17

Cleoriff
  • 122363 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Much better this way @Anonymous ....the awful stories we read on here about some problems when DD isn't set up... Anyway, enjoy your phone knowing that you have little to worry about....payment wise...:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with you, that is not the proper way to do it. The card is taken for the credit check, and he should have asked you what dd details you wanted to use, not just take them off the card. Grumpy

Message 7 of 17

Cleoriff
  • 122363 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I agree with you, that is not the proper way to do it. The card is taken for the credit check, and he should have asked you what dd details you wanted to use, not just take them off the card. Grumpy

I agree...as I said in my first post, I queried how this could have been done without the OP giving her HIS bank details...and more importantly agreeing to the terms and conditions of the Refresh scheme

Things may well have changed now but when I personally have set up any DD, I have had to complete and sign paperwork as part of the process......

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
*cough* his bank details *cough* wink

It probably was, but it was a case of the sales assistant saying, here's you new phone, sign here, here, here and here.
Message 9 of 17

Cleoriff
  • 122363 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
*cough* his bank details *cough* wink

It probably was, but it was a case of the sales assistant saying, here's you new phone, sign here, here, here and here.

Apologies for inferring you are female @Anonymous  LOL I usually avoid all reference to gender in my replies..so this time...you got me...Happy Dance

NB: I have edited my post before this one.....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 17