cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between Pay & Go and Pay Monthly tariffs

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am a little confused: I have in my O2 SIM card a tariff "Pay & Go": it is "Big Bundles" 2GB, 400 mins, 4000 texts, £20 A MONTH. I have to pay £20 a month and my minutes, text and GB are re-initialized every month. If I don't top-up my SIM at the monthly expiration, I can no more use it, indipendently of how much traffic I have consumed. My question is: since another group of O2 tariffs is called "Pay Monthly", what is different in my tariff, so that it is not a "Pay Monthly", but a "Pay & Go"? What makes my tariff a "not pay monthly" tariff?

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Because it's optional, with pay monthly, you are contractually bound to pay the fee whether used or not

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Because it's optional, with pay monthly, you are contractually bound to pay the fee whether used or not
Message 2 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

You would probably get better value for money (I.e. a better allowance) on pay monthly, but you would be credit checked, and as @viridis said be contractually obligated to pay that amount each month, non-payment of which could result in a hit on your credit score if O2 escalated the matter.

With pay as you go you can dump that sim card at any time and choose a different deal (and/or network) that suits, as long as whichever handset your using is unlocked.

Message 3 of 7

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

It is really what suiits you best and meets individual needs. I was PAYG for years and happy with that.

However I now go abroad quite often and I find my monthly bill is MUCH lower on contract than ever it was on payg wink

If you control your allowance and don't  exceed the limit on the tariff....then contract is better for me I find.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Their are advantages to pay monthly such as free use of voicemail , better O2 travel usage ref data and you get to use Tugo and on full contracts a nice new shiny phone.

I'm on the big bundle tariff you speak of on Payg too and prefer that as I'm not locked into a contract as such ,and if I don't top up then you just drop onto standard calling charges until you do and then the allowances are refreshed and your given a new anniversary date.

The breakdown of charges is given in your myo2.

The beauty of choice.

If your still unsure why not pop into your most local O2 high street store and I'm sure they'll guide you further.
Message 5 of 7

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

If you do opt for a contract make sure o2 meets your needs coverage wise.too late if you're tied into a 12/24 month deal.

Message 6 of 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144198 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27634 Solutions
As stated, there are differences and pros and cons either way. The biggest advantage of PAYG is that you are not committed to a lengthy contract time (mostly 24 months if you take a phone or 12 months for sim only tariffs).
You can skip payment one month and just accept incoming calls and texts if you wish rather than having to pay the contract amount every month regardless of usage etc.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 7