cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deteriorating o2 connectivity

Anonymous
Not applicable

Two years ago, when I upgraded from a Blackberry 9780 to a Bold 9900, I was getting good o2 connectivity at home for voice calls (wi.fi for internet browsing) and good connectivity outside and on the move for both calls and internet. For the last few months, I have frequently had no signal at home for calls and with difficulty in sending and receiving texts although emails have been received. I thought there might be a probem with the phone after 2 years of use.

This weekend, I upgraded to a Blackberry Classic which would be an all dancing, all singing phone, if I were able to access a reliable signal. 2G at home - sometimes but tends to disconnect when I pick up the phone! 3G whilst sitting in Sainsbury's car park today but no access to the internet. Did I really used to be able to 'tweet' in the car, or whilst waiting in the doctor's or the dentists?!!

Come on o2, this is really not good enough and I am paying for and expect to be given a much better service than this.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

You can check for mast problems here http://status.o2.co.uk but if it's been like this for months it could be congestion in which case there isn't much you can do until your area is upgraded.

Have you renewed your contract? If so it may be better to cancel within the cooling off period and look at other networks. We recommend the use of P&G sim as a way of checking coverage.

Message 2 of 11

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Good advice on trying sims from other networks, what area are you in?

Have you tried a new sim from O2?

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 3 of 11

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
Have u spoken to customer services about this? Call 202 although if it's congestion there's really nothing to be done until it's upgraded as stated above.

Great advice on cancelling of you're in your cooling off period.

Message 4 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the response and the link. o2 tells me there should be good 2G reception outside and OK inside! Inside is debatable. However, there is due to be maintenance carried out on the 19th.
Have checked with the status checkers on the websites of other networks and there is little difference between any of them.
For the BB Classic, my old o2 sim had to be replaced by a nano sim. Without an adaptor, I doubt I can use it in an old phone.
Message 5 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
perksie

Many thanks. I am in North Shropshire. As I said, I have a new o2 sim.
Message 6 of 11

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
If it's only 2g that's available to you then gaya will be hopeless of not on WiFi.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
gindygoo

I have not called 202 as yet. Finding the right spot with decent reception might be quite an exercise in itself without having to resort to the landline!
Message 8 of 11

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
perksie

Many thanks. I am in North Shropshire. As I said, I have a new o2 sim.

We've had a few complaints on here in the last couple of weeks that some faulty sims have been sent to some customers. 

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 9 of 11

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
So maybe a sim swap then, you can do that instore (it's easiest) and hopefully in a couple of days when that maintenance occurs your problem will be fixed if its congestion related!

Let us know if you need any more help, and try to call O2 as soon as u pick up a signal, of course 😞

Message 10 of 11