Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied a contract

Samstew101
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I am currently a university student. I have never had a credit card, yet i have a debit card. I applied for a pay monthly iPhone 7 via 'Mobile Phones Direct'. Unfortunately this application was declined. However, i was unnaware that having a credit score would even be an issue. This, i'm assuming, has now gone down as a failed credit check on my credit history. Is there any way to reverse this and be able to get the phone i orginally wanted - this clearly feels like an unecessary punishment for someone who was merely uninformed.

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22942 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Samstew101 To get a contract with any phone provider will initiate a credit check. If you have no credit card, you would have no credit history, so I'm unsure as to whether it will go on your record. You'd have to contact the credit check company for that. Try contacting Experian. https://www.experian.co.uk/ In any event, I don't think you will be able to get the phone you want on contract at present.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22942 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Samstew101 To get a contract with any phone provider will initiate a credit check. If you have no credit card, you would have no credit history, so I'm unsure as to whether it will go on your record. You'd have to contact the credit check company for that. Try contacting Experian. https://www.experian.co.uk/ In any event, I don't think you will be able to get the phone you want on contract at present.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 6

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

My grandson was in the same position as you @Samstew101 so I took the contract out on his behalf.

He is at Uni and has applied for a credit card and will make small purchases on this, paying back in full every month and this will build up some sort of credit rating...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 6

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
If you're not on the electoral register with a zero credit file, you'll almost always get declined.
Message 4 of 6

dgilbert2
Level 13: Prompter
  • 936 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 6 Solutions

You could trying calling into an O2 store, I've had bad experience with third party suppliers in the past, even with a good credit file. 

I've known them allow an upfront payment to get you going.

Message 5 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Samstew101

No history is unfortunately as bad as a bad history, note that your credit file only lists a search, it doesn't say if you were accepted or declined.

As has been suggested, get yourself a student credit card, use it sparingly and pay it back in full.

Maybe your parents could help while you build up a bit of history?

Message 6 of 6