Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Anonymous

Dell streak o2 wont change phone.

I have had nothing but trouble with my Dell Streak, tried to return it for repair two weeks after signing contract. Local store would't accept it because they were closing for refurbishment for six weeks, head office had told them not to accept repairs.
Finally was returned and replaced four weeks ago, still same problems.
No help in store, again. Phoned O2 and they want to send it off for repair again. I want it replaced with a different model. O2 wont replace it until it has been repaired three times, or let me cancel the contract.
Under the Sale of Goods Act, I think this is not fit for purpose and three repairs is not a reasonable opportunity for them to fix the problem.
I am sending it back for repair (read replacement, that is what they will do)again. With the amount of time they have had and the inherent problems with the phone I think two replacements is reasonable and they should replace the model.
Any advice welcome.
Anonymous

Re: Dell streak o2 wont change phone.

o2's policy is that your phone must go away for repair 3 times before they will offer you the opportunity to pick a different model of handset. You won't have the choice to cancel your contract.
The Sale of Goods Act allows a retailer to attempt repairs of an item before it is replaced. At o2, they've decided that 3 chances then the choice of a different model is fair enough.
Part of the reason that o2 has this policy is that when they allow you to choose a different handset the cost comes out of their pocket, not the manufacturer. If they were to just follow the standard manufacturer warranty your phone could be repaired an infinate number of times before you were offered something else.
So, from your post you've sent your phone away once and are about to do it again. So that will be twice. You'll still need to send it off once more and then have it go fault again before you can choose something else.
Anonymous

If you think that three repairs before replacement is unreasonable under the Sale of Goods Act, then you should action that. Send them a letter before action, but you must be prepared to back it up by enforcing your rights in court. (perhaps a money claim online?)
However, as all the service providers have similar interpretations of the Sale of Goods Act, (3 or 4 repairs before allowing a replacement) I would personally say that it likely they know what their obligations are under the Act.
Personally I would have sent the phone for repair, rather than wait for the store to be refurbished. You would have been within the 28 days and entitled to a replacement.
Anonymous

The problem is that there is no fix for the phone. There is still no 2.2 android update on O2 for the Dell Streak so we are stuck with buggy 1.6, and 2.1 update has been withdrawn as it was worse than 1.6.
There is also a design fault with the back cover, it keeps coming open.
Another design fault is the sensor which checks to see if the back is open, it randomly decides that the case is open even when it is closed, just putting the phone down on the table is enough to turn it off.
To replace a phone with another phone which they know is faulty is a waste of my time and is unreasonable.
When I get the phone back if it is at 1.6 and the first time it turns itself off it will be going back again. what a waste of time and money.
Topics: 297
Kudos: 1,856
Ideas: 6
Solutions: 1,316

[ Edited ]
The problem is that there is no fix for the phone. There is still no 2.2 android update on O2 for the Dell Streak so we are stuck with buggy 1.6, and 2.1 update has been withdrawn as it was worse than 1.6.
There is also a design fault with the back cover, it keeps coming open.
Another design fault is the sensor which checks to see if the back is open, it randomly decides that the case is open even when it is closed, just putting the phone down on the table is enough to turn it off.
To replace a phone with another phone which they know is faulty is a waste of my time and is unreasonable.
When I get the phone back if it is at 1.6 and the first time it turns itself off it will be going back again. what a waste of time and money.

http://blog.o2.co.uk/home/2010/12/froyo ... -here.html yes there is
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Anonymous

That is great news, when I checked for updates yesterday there was none, just checked on phone it is now available.
Since I have arranged to take the phone in for repair I will do so.
There is still the fault with the back and the sensor, still if Froyo fixes the other issues I know that a thin piece of card placed over the sensor stops the back coming off and the sensor activating when the back is on, I am more than happy to keep the phone.
They should have released this update months ago, lets hope Froyo is the cure.
Anonymous

:mansurprised: What are the inherent problems... as I have been enjoying my phone for months and upgraded it to 2.1 and have no problems... I have had many phones including the NOKIA COMMUNICATOR phones and iPhone, iPhone 3G/3Gs but out of them all the Android Platform is far the best, and the DELL STREAK comes top! even the size is not a problem.
Some people seem to be having problems... WHY! if it was a inherent problem then everyone would have a problem but that is not the case, so it must be that the software is not being installed onto the phone correctly. ??
But all I know that I am loving it and I know it can still be improved on as there are small anomaly's but that is normal for a OS that is growing and improving. Smiley Very Happy
Anonymous

I have not installed any updates to the phone, until today there was only the 2.1 which was withdrawn.
The phone has android 1.6 which came with the phone. So not updates have been incorrectly installed.
Phone turns off randomly.
Phone people and you and they cannot hear conversation.
people phone you and it doesn't "ring".
Phone will not end call, have to take back off to restart the phone.
Screen saver comes on when you put phone to your ear, when finished call it goes nuts cannot access phone to end call, take back off etc.
Screen becomes unresponsive, Take back off etc.
Put phone down, turns itself off, put in pocket, turns itself off.
could not update software, I.E. Google Maps, needs android 2.2.
There are other software problems, 2.2 Froyo may fix them.
however, I am trying to update it now and it has decided not to co-operate and freezes on the back up section, so much for 2.2
Anonymous

Smiley Surprised I do hope you get it sorted as the phone is brilliant and am amazed at the problems people are having, as I do not have any problems that I read about... These people are missing out on a great phone.
Smiley Tongue
Anonymous

I think it is the best phone I have had and hope the problems are sorted out, it is just O2 need to seriously learn lessons from the way they handled the marketing and their choice of propriety platform updates which they have made a complete mess of. It seems they may have screwed
O2 shops are helpful when buying a phone, extremely unhelpful when there is a problem.