cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delayed texts, calls going straight to voicemail despite full signal. Is this getting worse?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been an O2 cutomer for ten years, and currently have three handsets, and am seriously thinking of leaving O2.
Over the last four or five days I have found it hard to contact other O2 users. Phoning my wife or son goes straight to voicemail, and after lining up the phones beside each other, they all have full signal, 3G and 2G. It also happened with several friends who would have been on different cell towers.
I have tried diasbling data, still the same. three out of five calls go straight to voicemail.
This has happened before, but usually a reset of network settings and/or rebooting the phone/s sorts the problem out. Not this time.
Texts have also taken between 12-24 hours to come through.

Phoning landlines works just fine. The phones I have are an iphone 4S and two Xperia S'.
I've phoned O2 several times and get a metaphorical shrug "All is showing fine here".

Looking around the web I see various theories about O2 prioritising data over voice. But this still happens even when I completely disable data.

I'm at my wits end, and if this cannot be resolved, would I have grounds for early contract termination?

Message 1 of 13
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MiamiGuy
  • 60 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 8 Solutions

So if the problem still occurs like you say, miles away from your home, at least we can rule out a network issue. Unless you are really unlucky with areas you are going, which is highly unlikely.

So it is definitely a handset or sim card issue. Try the sim in another phone and see what happens. This will 100% tell you where the problem is coming from. A lot of people don't see the point in doing this, which is why they have constant issues.

I'm a Telefónica UK (O2) employee but post in a personal capacity. As such, views are my own and not those of the company.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Maybe it's just a temporary network glitch whilst work is been done on your mast? iPhones are notorious for this error though.... To have grounds for early cancellation you would have to have the problem for a prolonged period and go through the official complaints process without any resolution. Usually only granted when masts have been decommissioned and O2 have been unable to replace it.

What area are you in as others may be experiencing similar in the same town....?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 13

MiamiGuy
Level 6: Acolyte
  • 60 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 8 Solutions

If you can call landlines, then the network is up and running with no issues. If the issues are with dialling certain mobiles, it could very well be your friend/family members issue?

Most issues are not network issues, but handset or sim issues instead. Maybe try your sim in someone elses phone for 24 hours and give your phone to friend/family member for 24 hours to test their sim in your phone.

This way, you will have a definite answer as to where the problem is coming from. I hope this helps. If you do decide to take my advice, please reply back and let us know how you got on.

Thanks.

I'm a Telefónica UK (O2) employee but post in a personal capacity. As such, views are my own and not those of the company.
Message 3 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't see how changing sims will help as it is a problem on all three of my handsets? (Mine, wife and son)
I tried calling my wife today when she was with me at a about sixty miles away from our home mast - totally fine. Still getting delayed texts between handsets though.
It's definitely not a handset issue as looking poking around various forums it is repeated over and over again. Some have suggested it is a network management issue.
Message 4 of 13

MiamiGuy
  • 60 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 8 Solutions

So if the problem still occurs like you say, miles away from your home, at least we can rule out a network issue. Unless you are really unlucky with areas you are going, which is highly unlikely.

So it is definitely a handset or sim card issue. Try the sim in another phone and see what happens. This will 100% tell you where the problem is coming from. A lot of people don't see the point in doing this, which is why they have constant issues.

Message 5 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am having the exact same issue!

I have checked with o2 and the network is apparently fine.

My Dad, Bro and G/F are also all having the same problem with calls going straight to vmail and a huge delay for txts messages. I dont know how its a fault with the SIM as my bro just recently got a new Tipo with new 3G card. I've had my sim for years now without fault.

Calling landlines are fine... 

It does sound like a fault with the o2 network.

Message 6 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I am also having this issue, Really annoyed as I just topped up and most of my credit is getting wasted as it goes straight to voicemail. Even though I have heard that the people I have been trying to ring all had their phones on, and some of them are having issues too.

Please can you look into this O2?

Message 7 of 13

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Try the fix here to reset the time for the voicemail delay to see if that helps:

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/How-to-Lengthen-Ringtime-on-any-O2-Mobile/m-p/36...

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 8 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have had this problem - have you recently upgraded/updated your phone - each time you update the mobile data reverts to default settings causing this problem.

Go to settings - mobile (or mobile data) check your mobile data APN - it should read

mobile.o2.co.uk

I have found it defaults to idata.02.co.uk occasionally and this is what causes the delay

Message 9 of 13

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Go to settings - mobile (or mobile data) check your mobile data APN - it should read 

mobile.o2.co.uk 

I have found it defaults to idata.02.co.uk occasionally and this is what causes the delay

This is only relevant if you have an iPhone without an iPhone data package....

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 10 of 13