cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Default placed by o2 whist I was in prison.. Getting it removed?

Anonymous
Not applicable

So I have a single default for a  £100 with o2.

It was registered on the 5th June 2008 and expires in one year - I've already been waiting years for it to come off and have only just thought of this.

I believe I defaulted on the account during the 12 month period prior, with the default finally being registered on my account on the above date.

I was sentenced to 12 months in Prison on the 1st of June 2007.

I have applied to the police under a freedom of information act request for all details the police hold on me from the national computer.

If I present this to o2 - do you think they might take some pity and/or believe me when I say I didn't default intentionally and that I could not have received any notice of default whilst in prison?

[I didn't expect to go to prison as per the advice of my solicitor but did in case you're wondering why I didn't make contingency plans to prevent this from happening]

Can someone from o2 help?

Thankyou.

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

O2 won't care how you defaulted and the debt is now probably with a debt collection firm, so you would have to trace them.

You could phone O2 to check and paying it off might allow you to get your credit file marked accordingly.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi.

When 02 perform a credit check they will just look at it as black and white. If a person has a black mark on their credit file that's all they will see ,and make a decision on that.

Unfortunately stories behind the default is irrelevant to them. {sorry for being blunt}

All you can do is to have paid the debt and wait for it to be removed from your credit file which I believe is 6 years.

Then either sign up for a free credit report with experian and see if its dropped off. {remember to cancel this as you'll pay a subscription after the free period is up } or you can send them a small one off payment for your file to be sent to you.

If its not dropped off after this time period then you can challenge them to have it removed as an expired default.

It's a shame their couldn't have been someone on the outside that could have taken care of your financial affairs.
Hope all goes ok for you.

I'm not sure on this but you may be required to advise 02 on a criminal conviction when applying for a contract.
Message 2 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think you've misunderstood my question. I don't to go on contract with o2 currently.

The default on my file was placed by o2 on my credit record shortly after my release
 - and during my time at her majesty's pleasure, was the time period during which I was supposed to have been sent this notice of default.

Message 3 of 5

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

O2 won't care how you defaulted and the debt is now probably with a debt collection firm, so you would have to trace them.

You could phone O2 to check and paying it off might allow you to get your credit file marked accordingly.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 4 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
If you pay off the debt it is listed on your credit file as satisfied and wont have a huge effect unless you have more than one
Message 5 of 5