Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debit card charged without my authorisation

Dino1968
Level 4: Observant
  • 81 Posts
  • 17 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

OK i was looking at taking on a second hand set. Am already with o2 on pay monthly. Entered all my details plus my debit card details and on the webpage it clearly stated my card would NOT be charged unless my order goes through.

Well the order did not go through, as the system for some reason wanted my passport number (no idea why as I am already an O2 customer for some 10 months now) anyway I was out so left it. Got home checked my bank and lo and behold £49.99 debited from my card from O2. Called O2 the support some girl with a south african accecent was rude obnxoious and basicially hung up on me telling me O2 had not charged my card.

Rang my bank, they can see the amount pending from 02 but could not do anything as they told me to go back to 02. So I call 02 again this time with the bank authrorisation code, still no joy. They cant see any pending order and then said it can take up 7 working days for money to refunded back to my card. Even though my card should have never been charged in the first place. It even stated that on the webpage.

So my only course of action after having money illegally taken out of my account to request a charge back. O2s support has been nothing short of usless, and the system will debit you card/ account even if your order does not go through.

Thank god my contract is up this year so i can switch away from o2. Terrible support , terrible system and being charged for something I did not purchase is the icing on the cake.

If your new reading this and thinking of coming to O2 ... think again. Terrible support and terrible system.

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
What has probably happened is that the money is being held in limbo to see if the transaction completes or not. What you are seeing is a shadow on your account where the money hasn't actually left but it's not available to you either.
If the transaction never completes, the money will show back in your account as available funds in 4 or 5 days.
All companies and banks work this way for online orders.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
What has probably happened is that the money is being held in limbo to see if the transaction completes or not. What you are seeing is a shadow on your account where the money hasn't actually left but it's not available to you either.
If the transaction never completes, the money will show back in your account as available funds in 4 or 5 days.
All companies and banks work this way for online orders.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 5

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Here is an example from SagePay but all online payment systems work the same way.
https://www.sagepay.co.uk/support/32/order-failed-funds-still-taken

Currently using:
Message 3 of 5

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Your account has notnot b debited, the money has been held in reserve. There is no need for a refund as the money will be avavailab to you in around 5 working days once the authorisation naturally drops off the system.

Message 4 of 5

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Yeah, an issue we see often on here....

Currently using:
Message 5 of 5