cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[De]activating O2 Travel while abroad -- possible via My O2 section of the website?

GJD
Level 6: Acolyte
  • 101 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Hello,

Just wondering if it's possible to activate and/or deactivate O2 Travel while abroad -- using the "Choose Bolt Ons" bit of My O2 on the website? (I'm assuming that texting O2TRAVEL to 23336 is liable to be a bit screwy when sending texts to that five-digit number on a non-UK network).

It's just that in my past few trips to Europe I've found that the standard rates have worked out cheaper than O2 Travel. I'm going on a nine-day work trip on Friday though so if I find on arrival that it's worth my while to have O2 Travel activated, I wonder if it's possible to do that whilst abroad (e.g. if the wifi networks over there aren't up to scratch).

Many thanks!

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143456 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
The only way online is to ask live chat http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus
Be aware that if any data has been used on the day the bolt on is removed, you will be charged full price for that entire days data usage.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
  • 143456 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
The only way online is to ask live chat http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus
Be aware that if any data has been used on the day the bolt on is removed, you will be charged full price for that entire days data usage.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 7

jezza1234
Level 12: Nimble
  • 339 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 7 Solutions

Quickest and easiest way to turn it off is to switch of international roaming on your device and then its only calls and texts. I am curious which countries you have been to that the standard charges are cheaper than £1.99(Europe anyway) per day for unlimited data, and calls?

Message 3 of 7

MI5
  • 143456 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
It's cheaper if you don't accumulate 1.99 worth of usage and with calls and texts triggering the charge now, one text could cost you 1.99 instead of 0.04, so your solution doesn't stack up?

Currently using:
Message 4 of 7

GJD
  • 101 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 2 Solutions
On my past five or so trips to Europe (using O2 standard rates) my average daily costs have been less that £1.99 a day (inc VAT). The only annoyance is that O2 haven't updated their limits before they automatically cut you off from using your phone abroad.
I see that O2 Travel can be added via the website but I wondered whether this can be done while abroad. Maybe I'll try it and report back.
I'm away for 9 days and don't want to be charged £1.99 for sending a text (as MI5 mentions). Turning off mobile data doesn't work if you have O2 Travel.
Message 5 of 7

GJD
  • 101 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 2 Solutions
As in, try to activate it if need be on subsequent days if the wifi I can access isn't up to much.
Message 6 of 7

MI5
  • 143456 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
My understanding is that you can add the bolt on via your myo2 but you can't remove it without calling or using live chat.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 7