Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data usagev

Daffy
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi. While using facetime, i got a message to say i had used 80% of my data. 3 hours later (long catch up), still on facetime, i get a message to say i have used all my data. How can this ne when i was in the house using my wi-fi?
Message 1 of 12
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
To be safe, you should always turn off mobile data when using wifi, this will ensure your data isn't used if the wifi drops out.
Check your data settings and turn off "wifi assist" if you have it tuned on too as this will use data in preference to wifi if the signal is better.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35208 Posts
  • 223 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

Has your phone been set to switch to the stronger signal, if WiFi is weaker, it would go to Mobile signal...?

Screenshot_20180601-225357__01.jpg

Message 2 of 12

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
To be safe, you should always turn off mobile data when using wifi, this will ensure your data isn't used if the wifi drops out.
Check your data settings and turn off "wifi assist" if you have it tuned on too as this will use data in preference to wifi if the signal is better.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 12

Daffy
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks for that. Didnt know that existed!!!
Message 4 of 12

Daffy
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks MI5, will try to remember that
Message 5 of 12

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

Hi @Daffy

You won't find the exact same that @pgn posted on your iPhone, but you should go to Settings >Mobile data and scroll down to almost the very bottom.

You will see "Wi-Fi Assist" and if the button is green, slide it to the left to turn off.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 12

Daffy
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
@MI5
I found the wi-fi assist button and it was already turned off. Would it still switch to mobile data? Thanks
Message 7 of 12

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
It would if your WiFi dropped out (hence the need to turn mobile data off completely) but having it off will stop it running at the same time as your WiFi.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 12

Daffy
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks MI5, I will be making sure its all turned off in the future when using facetime. I have also told friends who didnt know about it either
Message 9 of 12

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
How long have you got to go before your data allowance renews?

Currently using:
Message 10 of 12