Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data usage exceeding actual data usage!

NV1
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
My bill for this month began on 20th April. Due to the quarantine I have been at home with fibre optic broadband and have not used my data outside of the house much at all, due to the lockdown. My bill tells me that I have almost used all of my data for this month, when this is simply not feasible. Is there an error on the system or is this a reoccurring trend as per some of the posts on this community page?
Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JamieB14
Level 5: Ponderer
  • 186 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@NV1 

Is your mobile data disabled completely in settings?

If not your data could still be used if you WIFI connection drops and also if you are out of range.

In addition to this, many apps services may be set to run using data only.

If your mobile data is not completely turned off in settings it’s best to do so 😀

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

JamieB14
  • 186 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@NV1 

Is your mobile data disabled completely in settings?

If not your data could still be used if you WIFI connection drops and also if you are out of range.

In addition to this, many apps services may be set to run using data only.

If your mobile data is not completely turned off in settings it’s best to do so 😀

Message 2 of 5

NV1
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks for your helpful information!

My mobile data has been switched on, however the WiFi fibre optic broadband has always been strong and not out of range.

My understanding from your post is that it mobile data is switched on, it will still use 'data' even if the source is provided elsewhere? Basically a duplicate of data usage?

A shame I've only learned this now, but much appreciate your feedback.

Thanks very much. I'll speak to 02 this week and see what options are available in terms of having enough data in future on my tariff.
Message 3 of 5

JamieB14
  • 186 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
@NV1

No problem at all, just happy to help someone else out who needs it.

Dependant on which device you have, you might also have a data usage section which would show what apps/services have used up what amount of data.

This may help locate the culprit and you can then turn it off to only use WIFI rather that mobile data or both

When you contact O2 they may also be able to look deeper into where your data is being used, but in the short term the data usage option in your settings should give you a very good idea where you data is going

Have a good evening! 😁
Message 4 of 5

NV1
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
You're a wonderful person. Really appreciate you taking the time to help me out. Sounds good to speak to 02 and get a detailed stats report!

Have a great evening and stay safe. 😊

Message 5 of 5