Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data speeds USA

ALEX1986
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
So I am in the UsA and finding it impossible to use data. I'm paying £4.99 to try and use it and it's impossibly slow. Even speed tests online won't load because it's so bad. Am I doing something wrong? My partner is having the same issue. I think it's disgusting I'm paying for something that just doesn't work.
Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

@ALEX1986 Here is a list of countries where O2 has 4G roaming agreements: 

• Spain
  • Germany
  • Czech Republic
  • Isle of Man
  • Australia

As you can see, it doesn't include the USA. You won't get decent speed wherever you are. I would suggest you switch off your mobile data completely and just rely on free WiFi wherever you may find it. You should also contact customer service on your return and if you're lucky and get a sympathetic person answering, you may get a goodwill gesture and get a refund for the money you've spent. You can also see how to lodge a complaint here: https://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

@ALEX1986 Here is a list of countries where O2 has 4G roaming agreements: 

• Spain
  • Germany
  • Czech Republic
  • Isle of Man
  • Australia

As you can see, it doesn't include the USA. You won't get decent speed wherever you are. I would suggest you switch off your mobile data completely and just rely on free WiFi wherever you may find it. You should also contact customer service on your return and if you're lucky and get a sympathetic person answering, you may get a goodwill gesture and get a refund for the money you've spent. You can also see how to lodge a complaint here: https://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
The problem is that date is heavily throttled to the point of it being unusable. You could turn off o2 travel and pay standard rates for data but that’s not advisable at £7.20 per mb. If your phone is unlocked you could get a local t mobile or at&t sim for data use when out in places with no WiFi or just seek out free WiFi to cover your data needs.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 6

jonsie
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

There should be an explicit warning on O2's website that states they severely throttle data outside the EU. Indeed, it's only recently that, due to customer complaints via this community, throttling was lifted within the EU. Many customers quite rightly in this day and age expect their phones to work without restrictions when travelling long distance for their holidays and are let down to find that they may as well have left their phones at home.

Message 4 of 6

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

I think as far as the US goes we should be advising people to get their phone unlocked before they travel and use a local sim....or switch to Three. A bit drastic but certainly better than being left with an unusable phone..

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 6

jimthing0
  • 412 Posts
  • 23 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

(oops old thread. moved to a new one)

Message 6 of 6