cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data issue

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi. Start from the beginning shall we! I had originally an Xperia z with 1GB of Internet which kept getting used up within 2 weeks of my data resetting. I thought this was due to me using my internet far too much on my phone. I went into O2 and asked the girl who said this was the case and to buy an extra Gb of data so now I have 2gb (did this about a year ago). Anyway it kept happening, 2gb used up within two weeks each month and me buying an extra 500mb of data on top which also got used up. I turn my data off when I am not using it to save as much as possible. I ended up switching to an iPhone 5 in October and though things would change as my boyfriend had it and ha 3gb of Internet and never went over this at all and never came near to it but uses his phone for all the same things as me. But alas no still kept happening. Anyway I've come to the conclusion there is something wrong with my contract as on Friday I had all my data turned off as usual, all automatic updates off and bought 500mb of data and within 5 minutes I had a text saying I had used 80% of my data!!! I hadn't even turned it back on!! So clearly for the past year or so I have been paying extra for data and I neednt have as there is clearly something wrong that has nothing to do with the amount I am using! Can anybody think what could be wrong? I'll be wanting all my money back for all the extra data I paid for and didn't need to tbh and making a complaint! But if anyone could help me in figuring out what the issue is that would be great.
Message 1 of 49
48 REPLIES 48

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

It's almost a certainty that Snapchat is the problem. Try the uninstall, you can always go back to it if you find its no different

Message 41 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable

I understand it is snapchat by the looks of things but why is it differing between me and my boyfriend using it? Is it due to the EE tarriff and O2 tarrif? In that case not very fair to customers. I don't use snap chat till I get home with WIFI so surely data won't get used anyway? It just seems odd, maybe not to any of you but to me its ridiculous. I give up anyway... does not explain how 500mb of data ran out within 5 MINUTES of me buying it when all data was turned off and I hadn't even used the phone, no snapchat no fb, nothingI put it in my pocket, walked down the road and then rec a text saying 80% used up and this is why i think there is a problem but nobody can explain why this has happened? If anyone can tell me why this happened then I'll be happy...

Message 42 of 49

Cleoriff
  • 122905 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

@Anonymous 

I think we have given as much advice as we are able to really. If you feel you have a genuine issue with this and have been overcharged you must ring CS again to ask them to sort it.

You can complain if you feel they can't help resolve the issue...All links at the bottom of the page.....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 43 of 49

jonsie
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

Explain the issue to customer service about the data bolt on and I'm sure they will renew it for you as a goodwill gesture. They should be able to check on the system when it was used.

Message 44 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable
They just said it was calculated at mid night which isn't really an acceptable answer. I complained twice and they said the same thing, I went to O2 stores twice with the same result. It's as if they aren't bothering to look at it... so I can't be bothered complaining again. Thanks anyway
Message 45 of 49

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
How much data does your handset say snapchat is using?
All mobile data use is logged on modern phones
Message 46 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable

Not really sure how the iphone works when it comes to finding things (useless so they are) but when I go on the mobile data area in settings it's 176mb undeneath it, i dunno if that's per day or whatever, facebook on the other hand is over 600mb so that's interesting! is that over the month? I'd assume over the month! 600mb a day would be ridic haha... I reset the statistics when my data renewed!

Message 47 of 49

MI5
  • 144312 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
It is a cumulative amount used since you last reset it.
If you have video autoplay on in FB that could account for the high usage. Turn it off in the app settings.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 48 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable

It is off, I turned everything like that off as soon as I got the 6, had everything off on the 5 and most stuff off on the xperia z. Had the assistant in store check the 5 for me to make sure I had all data saving strategies in place so i just done it again with the 6. Could facebook be the cause of high data usage? Again back to the 500mb in 5 minutes issue, that clearly wasn't an issue with me using the phone but something else and this is where the query lies really... but no one is CS can answer the question so as said before I give up!

Message 49 of 49