Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Usage exceeded although Monthly useage still showed some remaning

JustWilliam
Level 1: Joiner
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

My Wifes phone has a 500MB monthly data allowance. The day before the end of her usage month she got a text message indicateing her allowance was all used up and her phone stopped getting any more data, however the O2 app and Account on the O2 website showed (still shows) that her monthly usage for the now completed month was only 394.8MB.

Why when she had only used 394.8MB was the monthly allowance of 500MB deemed to have been exceeded?

Either the App and Website show invalid data, or the process that triggers the text and blocks the account is using the wrong data.

Which is wrong & Why ?

What is the point of trying to monitor ones usage if the monitor doesn't work?

I had a long chat with someone from O2 but don't think they understood the issue.

Any assistance appreciated.

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

JustWilliam
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Are you implying the monthly totals never take account of the last days usage because it resets to zero for the next month?

As that sounds like a bug to me.

Or have I misunderstood what you said?

Message 11 of 26

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
That was the implication, yes.
O2 systems are flaky at the best of times and I can imagine confusion when trying to update and reset at the same time.
Yes it's a bug, but good luck in finding the right place to report it and if you did, then getting it fixed!
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 26

JustWilliam
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

you are probably right. Just frustrating that despite monitoring usage O2 just cut one off.

Also have my doubts that she actually exceeded the monthly usage anyway.

Thanks for your comments.

Message 13 of 26

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@JustWilliam wrote:

you are probably right. Just frustrating that despite monitoring usage O2 just cut one off.

Also have my doubts that she actually exceeded the monthly usage anyway.

Thanks for your comments.

Your wife is, in some ways, lucky. I'm on a business contract so no cut off if I reach 100%, according to O2.

Mine was the post @Cleoriff referred to as not only did I supposedly go over my limit on the 22nd June (mine resets 30th of the month) but I had no text from O2 to tell me I'd reached my limit. Yet, like your wife, my usage according to my phone (Samsung Galaxy S8+) showed me well well under my allowance of 30gb just before it reset on the 30th. Because I had no text from O2 to tell me I'd reached my limit, I was credited with the amount I was charged above my allowance. So I agree with you there is a problem but also agree with @MI5's comment. To get someone to admit there's a problem and then fix it is highly unlikely disappointed

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 14 of 26

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions
A computer generates the warning. Myo2 data updates every half hour. The most accurate clock for data usage the one on the Samsung handset.
Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 15 of 26

JustWilliam
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for the info. It gives further evidence that O2 have an issue that needs addressed.

I have a screen shot of the final usage for the month (showing it hasn't reached the limit) which along with a text from O2 saying it's over limit. Since the 2 clearly give conflicting information that would seem evidence enough to demonstrate they have an issue.

Infact I think anyone charged on a Business account could also use similar evidence to dispute the charge 🙂 

If I get time I'll send it in.

Any idea to whom one can send such info.?

Message 16 of 26

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
So based on what you're saying @anticipated, the data usage on my phone was correct and O2 was wrong. How do I prove that to O2 if I get a text saying I've used 100% of my data allowance, when my phone shows I have plenty of data left? Why should I and others be penalised because of O2's antiquated systems?!

Message 17 of 26

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Your phone may only be showing downloaded data whereas your MyO2 is up and down.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 18 of 26

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
I only ever use data for downloading and playing games, downloading pics, downloading my O2 airtime bills, streaming through Amazon Prime and Mobdro and when I'm on the forum. I often switch my data off and use my mobile broadband as I have that option. So what other data usage would MyO2 be showing @MI5 that my phone doesn't? Sorry if I'm being a bit dim here. I know many apps run in the background but my phone shows that data usage as well.

Message 19 of 26

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Data is constantly going both ways. Granted, much more is download but there will always be uploaded data as your device talks to the sites you are connected to.

Currently using:
Message 20 of 26