Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Usage exceeded although Monthly useage still showed some remaning

JustWilliam
Level 1: Joiner
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

My Wifes phone has a 500MB monthly data allowance. The day before the end of her usage month she got a text message indicateing her allowance was all used up and her phone stopped getting any more data, however the O2 app and Account on the O2 website showed (still shows) that her monthly usage for the now completed month was only 394.8MB.

Why when she had only used 394.8MB was the monthly allowance of 500MB deemed to have been exceeded?

Either the App and Website show invalid data, or the process that triggers the text and blocks the account is using the wrong data.

Which is wrong & Why ?

What is the point of trying to monitor ones usage if the monitor doesn't work?

I had a long chat with someone from O2 but don't think they understood the issue.

Any assistance appreciated.

Message 1 of 26
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Data use is rolled up at the end of each day and recorded in your MyO2 around midnight each day, so it wouldn't have been updated until then.
With that been the day the data reset it probably didn't update the monthly total then and just reset it.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

Anonymous
Not applicable

Does she have an iPhone per chance? There is a known data hogging issue with iPhone 

Message 2 of 26

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
If the data hasn't reset even though you are now in a new month, it sounds like your MyO2 is broken and has stopped recording data use.
A call to customer services asking them to reset it might help but it certainly sounds like your MyO2 is wrong.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 26

JustWilliam
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

No it's a Samsung Galaxy Alpha as it happens.

Message 4 of 26

JustWilliam
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

It has reset correctly at the roll over so no issues now.

BUT why was she cut off when the the app and account still shows there was usage left for the month.

She did get an 80% reached text earlier in the day which was probably correct as that would be at about 394.8MB (i.e. about 400).

Message 5 of 26

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Data use is rolled up at the end of each day and recorded in your MyO2 around midnight each day, so it wouldn't have been updated until then.
With that been the day the data reset it probably didn't update the monthly total then and just reset it.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 26

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

It certainly seems as a call to customer services is in order @JustWilliam

https://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

We had a similar post last week and they apologised and put the customer back on admitting it was probably a system error. You could call now or first thing tomorrow morning between 8-8.30am

Edited to add this is the thread I mentioned  https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Discussions-and-Feedback/Excellent-Custoner-Service/td-p/1135124

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 26

JustWilliam
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks - Tried that but think the issue was above the advisors pay grade.

They failed to understand it now works but didn't yesterday, and although the issue is resolved as the month has rolled over, the point is their systems don't work correctly - i.e. How does one report a bug in their usage monitoring / texting or whatever.

Message 8 of 26

JustWilliam
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

The total for "Last" months usage still shows as 394.8MB so it seems their system either doesn't update correcty &/or their system for cutting folk off and texting looks at a different set of data.

Also seems odd the 20% was used in such a short time, if indeed it was used i.e. Can one trust their data usage figures atall.

As it happens it wasn't too important but it might have been!

Message 9 of 26

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Did you see my reply above?

Currently using:
Message 10 of 26