cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Charges from Bermuda

Anonymous
Not applicable

Had a short break with the wife.  We went on a Dutch dash sailing from Hull to Europoort on Wed night. A day in Rotterdam visiting Keukenhof Gardens and sailed back on Thurs night from Europoort lading in Hull on Friday morning.  I have now data charges on my account from Bermuda!!! WTF.  I live on the UK east coast just outside Hull and struggle getting a connection on land, but in the middle of the North sea I gat a connection from Bermuda!!!!  I think O2 is seriously taking the p*ss

Message 1 of 44
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Bermuda is just the Satellite that you have connected to when you were at sea.

Most cruise ship and ferry companies offer mobile network services to passengers while on board, however these services are sourced by the cruise ship and ferry companies via foreign networks that use satellite communications to connect to their home network. As a result call, text and data charges are charged as Rest of the World Zone (6).

Edit: to add charges

Hope this helps slight_smile

Calling the UK and within country/Calling within Zone/Out of Zone/Receiving a call/Send SMS/Send MMS/Data / MB

Rest of
the world
£1.50£1.50£1.50£1.2540p25p£6 per

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 44
43 REPLIES 43

Anonymous
Not applicable
Maybe it's where the signal you were getting from but it is very strange, did you have data roaming switched on?

Was your mobile data turned off?

http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus
Message 2 of 44

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

This is nothing to do with O2, you have connected to the network on the ship and been charged for it.

We have seen many reports like this and always advise that data is turned off at sea or near a terminal or border.

At least make sure data roaming is off.

O2 might help if you ask but they're under no obligation to do so.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 3 of 44

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi.  TBH I can't remember turning it off but to recieve a signal from 3500 miles away is nearly as impossible as walking across the North Sea.

Phill  

Message 4 of 44

Anonymous
Not applicable

Bermuda is just the Satellite that you have connected to when you were at sea.

Most cruise ship and ferry companies offer mobile network services to passengers while on board, however these services are sourced by the cruise ship and ferry companies via foreign networks that use satellite communications to connect to their home network. As a result call, text and data charges are charged as Rest of the World Zone (6).

Edit: to add charges

Hope this helps slight_smile

Calling the UK and within country/Calling within Zone/Out of Zone/Receiving a call/Send SMS/Send MMS/Data / MB

Rest of
the world
£1.50£1.50£1.50£1.2540p25p£6 per
Message 5 of 44

Anonymous
Not applicable
These cruise ships charge exorbitant amounts for you connecting to their network. You may get a small good will gesture but I got a hunch that you may have to pay
Message 6 of 44

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144643 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27730 Solutions
There should be warnings when you are on the ship about the rates that you are connecting to.
Most ferries and cruise ships I have been on have posters with the costs outlined quite clearly.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 44

Anonymous
Not applicable

There are actually. Don't know about this company but most of the terms and conditions for using the ships Internet are on the back of the ticket. They even include charges.

Message 8 of 44

MI5
  • 144643 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27730 Solutions
No doubt in the small print so it's difficult to find in this case !
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 44

MI5
  • 144643 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27730 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I think O2 is seriously taking the p*ss

I would also add that this is nothing to do with O2, so, no, they are not.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 44